1.5" MDF for inner panels of Corn Scala Bin.

I’m giving serious consideration to the idea of building some Split CornScala Bins.

Iv been reading on materials used by some manufactures, including HDF.

I can’t find HDF, but have been able to find 1.5 thick, MDF.

The Plan is to build a 24” cubed Bin with a port shelf and some bracing out of ½” Baltic, Wrap it in 1.5”MDF and then ½” Baltic.

Then no one will want to buy or steal J.

Anyone else using heavy thick material?

The MDF is not cheap… $110 a sheet, but this Bin would be for my music room. My 1st Corn Scala’s are headed to the living room.

The Alt plan would be ¾” maple + ¾”MDF +1/2” Baltic.

Interesting project.

A few thoughts:

1) they will weigh a ton (about 6 lbs per sq ft)

2) rather than 1.5 inch material, you might consider simply doubling up on 3/4 inch and smearing a layer of PL premium in between the two sheets. You will get the same density and you will also achieve a poor man's version of constrained layer dampening.

3) Sometimes bracing is a better otption than thicker panels.

Good luck,

-Tom

Absolutetely overkill. No need to go thicker than 3/4", especially with small panel dimensions. Intelligently braced, even 1/2" ply is quite fine, although you may want to use glue blocks in the corners, as it will be a bit harder to make good joints.

I had a very large cabinet built with two layers of 3/4" MDF, but it also has 2 18" drivers that weigh 78 pounds each hanging on the baffle and 4 18" passive radiators with a lot of mass on them. Two 3,600W rated pro amps are attatched to that cabinet and if I drive it to it's limits at resonance, the passives are displacing 38 liters of air in one cycle. The box is braced, but the panels are pretty large by conventional standards.

Bracing is always a better option than going thicker on the panels.

I hear both of you... that said... My La Scala bins sounds head and shoulders better at 1.25" vs 3/4"

My Cornscala Cabs @ 3/4MDF,3/4Maple A1 Ply are incredible.

The use of 1.5MDF seems way overkill I agree... but the shop wants to try and so Id get the material for free.

I think I will ultim. go with .5baltic+.75MDF+.5 Baltic. Material costs are not such an issue. Will have to plan more closly for bracing.

Greg,

I dont intend to make a perfect 24" sq. Will be a rectangle without a doubt... the point I was raising was about materials and sound cancelation. Ive seen alot of interest... strange and worthwhile way to make the cab silent... but most are heavy and thick... Im ok with both.

Guest David H

Greg,

I dont intend to make a perfect 24" sq. Will be a rectangle without a doubt... the point I was raising was about materials and sound cancelation. Ive seen alot of interest... strange and worthwhile way to make the cab silent... but most are heavy and thick... Im ok with both.

Good to know, but it can be more beneficial to use internal braccing than just using thicker materials.

Here is a bit more info. http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/Build/

Dave.