Upgrading from Klipsch RB-61 to Klipsh Heresy III

pchorian

Hi! First post to this forum, although I am a usual visitor.

I am a very happy owner of Klipsch RB-61. However, I wonder if I should upgrade to Klipsch Heresy III.

What really troubles me is the Klipsch Heresy specification where it states that the bass extends to 58Hz whereas RB-61 goes down to 45Hz. How is this possible? Klipsch Heresy has a bigger woofer than RB-61 (12'' vs 6.5''). I suppose this has to do with the design of the speaker (sealed vs bass reflex)?

My system is:

Philips DVD player, Laptop, Technics 1200 MK2 --> Benchmark Dac-1 HDR --> Winsome Labs Mouse (Tripath 2050), Trends 10.1 --> Klipsch RB-61

Please note that I don't want to add a subwoofer to my set up. Also I find the bass of my Klipsch RB-61 pretty adequate for my room.

i heard a pair of heresys ,briefly.

and after i heard a cd of instrumental music of my choice , i played it again on RB-3s.

and the RB-3s sounded not as open , nor as sweet.

though both were on integrated digital recievers by yamaha.some dsp series.

the soundstage was huge on the heresys ,but not until u playe em in a nice big comfy room .

Go with the heresys ,

u wont be disappointed , if you have a big room.

however for most small rooms ,15x 13 or so , heresys wud be too high pitched ,requiring a sub .

jmho .

Welcome to The Forums.....

It depends on what you are looking for musically.....

The H IIIs ARE thumpers, compared to H Is or IIs. But if you need deep bass then you will need a good sub.

I mean no disrespect to the RB 61, but I would vote for the H IIIs; Hands down.......

Bigger soundstage, better mids and smooth all the way across...... If I could afford a set I would own them.

"

What really troubles me is the Klipsch Heresy specification where it states that the bass extends to 58Hz whereas RB-61 goes down to 45Hz. How is this possible? Klipsch Heresy has a bigger woofer than RB-61 (12'' vs 6.5''). I suppose this has to do with the design of the speaker (sealed vs bass reflex)?

I suspect you are partially right, and also the cab size would need to be bigger to get lower for the H III woofer. I am no expert on speaker dynamics or engineering.......

Some here on the forum are comparing these to Cornwall IIIs as being better sounding (more balanced) overall than the CWs. (I guess the new CWs took a step back?).

Also, consider the RB 61s are 2 way and the H IIIs are 3 way.... Very different sound.....

If you could demo a pair it would be ideal. Anywhere near Chicago?

Good Luck, let us know what you choose........

I'd go with the Heresy III but listen to both and go with what soulds the best to you. I'd opt for the Heresies but one can't go wrong with either.

The Heresy III are also a bit more efficient than the RB-61 which are more efficient than most of the competition guessing 88 to 91 dB ?

High efficiency and dynamic range (which is improved with highly efficient speakers) are 2 of PWKs principles for good sound:

• Paul W. Klipsch believed these four principles to be the foundation

for great sound: high efficiency, dynamic range, controlled directivity

and flat frequency response. These principles continue to drive the

design of every new Klipsch speaker, today and tomorrow.

RB-61: SENSITIVITY
95dB @ 2.83V / 1m

Heresy III: SENSITIVITY
99dB @ 1watt/1meter

And the Heresy have really nice wood veneer and are still made in the USA.

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I eventually sold my klipsch rb-61 and bought klipsch heresy III 3 months ago. I am now a very happy owner of Klipsch Heresy speakers! I now listen again to my music collection discovering little amazing details. The dynamic range is huge;now the classical recordings sound as they should.

However, when listening to jazz and especially when a double bass plays solo I noticed that the low octaves of the bass come from the speaker 'boomy'. So, the question is: Is the speakers or the room that causes this? What should I do to remedy the problem?

I would also like to add that listening the same recordings with headphones (my preamplifier is benchmark dac-1 hdr) the bass sounds perfect

Thank you very much for all the info and help

Hi!

I eventually sold my klipsch rb-61 and bought klipsch heresy III 3 months ago. I am now a very happy owner of Klipsch Heresy speakers! I now listen again to my music collection discovering little amazing details. The dynamic range is huge;now the classical recordings sound as they should.

However, when listening to jazz and especially when a double bass plays solo I noticed that the low octaves of the bass come from the speaker 'boomy'. So, the question is: Is the speakers or the room that causes this? What should I do to remedy the problem?

I would also like to add that listening the same recordings with headphones (my preamplifier is benchmark dac-1 hdr) the bass sounds perfect

Thank you very much for all the info and help

Speaker placement is one of the most critical, and often overlooked, parameters in setting up an audio system. Sometimes moving the speakers only one or two inches can have a dramatic effect on the sound, as can your listening position in relation to the speakers. Don't hesitate to try every conceivable placement option available to you. Also, the speakers don't have to be symmetrically placed in some rooms to achieve superb sound. In some installations in which I have been involved, having one speaker a few inches farther from the wall than the other had a dramatic effect as well.

If you are worried about bass, you should dump the T amps. You'll get no thump from those. They are cool little amps but they don't have enough juice to make either Klipsch really work well. That is your weak point.

To answer your question, I think I'll just throw down a standard statement and let the guys argue it out but anytime you can buy a Heritage speaker you are miles ahead. They are heirlooms that you keep for life. Buy 'em now while they are still being made.

Thanx, Russ

Congrats on the nice upgrade!

I run mine with a sub and the results are fantastic......

It is amazing when you get the little extra details in your music that you never heard before.....

Sounds like you are happy with them....... There is only one thing left for you to do!

POST A PIC!!!!! [:D]

Hello and thank you for the help.

I have tried klipsch heresy with different amplifiers (including nad 320bee, a diy tube integrated EL34 push-pull and a yamaha av receiver) and by far the best results are from trends ta 10.1 (tripath 2024). The sound is ultra clean and undistorted.

I guess this has to do more with the preamplifier I am using (benchmark dac-1 hdr) because when I used nad 320 bee as a power amplifer the result was similar to trends ta 10.1 but at rock-concert sound levels! By the way, from my experience I think that the preamplifier is in the audio chain together with the speakers the most significant component.

Anyway, I turned the speakers a bit so as to face the listening position at an angle and that remedied a little the problem. Then I placed them at the corners and the sound became very very boomy - like the low octaves of the bass were a single note. So I guess my problem has to do with room acoustics.

What should I do to fix it?