Klipschorn-Before and after 2001

Hi, K-horn owners! I am from Istanbul, long-time Heresy and La Scala owner, thinking to add a pair of long-stored Klipschorns from the authorized dealer to my collection.. It turned out they were produced in 1992. I was hoping they were produced after 2001, or even 2005, having read the modofications made on the network, the cabinet and also squawk and tweeter in these years (see: www.klipschcorner.com/heritage/KlipschornTimeline . Can anybody say anything about how these modifications effect the overall sound? The dealer is asking a lot for these long-stored Khorns, so I am curious if I should wait and see if I can get hold of a pair produced after 2001 or even 2005.

Rusen; take a look at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

The biggest "change" (IMHO) really involved the transition from the AA crossovers to the AK series. The use of the newer mid and tweeter technologies was required primarily as the original drivers were simply not as good. The new K55X and K77F are very good, and the crossovers take advantage of that improvement. The new midrange horn (K-401) is an excellent design, lighter (made from a poly-resin), and does not exhibit the unwanted resonance or "ringing" that many noticed with the old K-400 metal horns.

Fundamentally, any Klipschorn will do the job. In the case of the 92's, other than changing the caps on the crossovers which are AK3's, little other than that would be needed to get started.

You should also discuss with your dealer what options and costs he has available to you to have the subject khorns modernized with the lastest availabel crossover and associated upgrade kits.

For once I agree with Roberts,

The K400 midrage "squawker" horn is a headache maker. It is an old eponentical horn that has been replaced by a Tractrix expansion horn in every product Klipsch makes EXCEPT the Khorn and LaScala. All the Khorns made for may years have had that horn. I suspect they stick to it to maintain the "Klipsch sound", which is a harsh unnatural mid-range. I have sold over 100 sets of wood Tractrix replacement horns with a promise to buy them back if they turn out not to be worth your money. It has NEVER happened! The drivers (K55M, K55V, K55X, K77 K77M etc..) are all good enough. The second consideration is the crossover network. They are all poor designs and to pick which one of them is best is difficult. I tend to like the AK-2 and AK-3 best because of their extreme-slope tweeter filter. Next is the AA. I don't like the AK4 or AK5 at all. I call those a "Rube Golburg". Lots of unnecessary parts that do very little.

Al K.

The drivers are NOT good. I have used EV 1823M and 1834M with much better results on the K400.

If one really wants excellent sound get a pair of huge Jabo horns and a set of JBL2482 drivers with phenolic diaphragm.

And don't forget to order the autoformers from Werner Jagush too!

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Audio-Autotransformer-fur-Altec-Crossover-und-Horner-/220659613027?pt=Lautsprecher_Selbstbau

Ofcourse these are no longer Klipschorns as I am using only the bass bin now..... Yet the Jabos mate very well acoustically. (WAF=0 LOL)