Rack Mounts

twins0649

Hello Technical Experts,

Can anyone reccommed a source of rack mounting kits for a two channel stereo? This would be built into a cabinet for a Crown amplifier, Crown pre-amp, Thorens turntable, and Sony DVD-CD player. Do I need to consider some type of fan cooling for the cabinet? Please advise sources of quiet cooling fans. Thanks in advance for your information.

twins0649

There are multiple companies that speialize in cooling audio components. To me they're all to pricey for what you actually get. I found the quietest computer case fans that ran on 12v and wired them to a 12v charger. I plugged the charger ino a switched outlet on my surge protector so they would come on with my amps. They're extremely quiet and very effictive, I have 4 pro amps and a pre-pro in a very small, virtually enclosed cabinet and my components only get warm, never hot.

Harry O,

Thank you for your reply. I need the steel hardware, no shelves, to rack mount a Crown DC-300A amp and Crown IC-150 pre amp. These will be driving Cornwall I's. I can run the Crown continuously, and it never even gets warm. Can you guide me to some sites for the steel frame work for rack mounts? I also have a Thorens TC-160 turn table that I want to build into the cabinet with the rack mount.

Thanks,

twins0649

Take a look around the Mid-Atlantic site. http://www.middleatlantic.com/index.htm I built a rack for my HT. You start out with a set of rails and cut them to length. If you have rack mounted equipment that is all you need. If you need shelves you buy them in "units" a U-3 is tall enought for 3 rack spaces. It has been a while but IIRC each 3 holes in the rails is one unit so a U-3 shelf or piece of rack mounted gear will take up 9 holes. Invest in the thumb screws for mounting way faster then using a screwdriver.

If you are patient you can get the rails/shelves/parts pretty cheap on ebay compared to MSRP.

While this is geard toward band equipment the idea and rails are exactly the same. It helped me a lot. http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/rackcase.html

Here is what I made:

RPRack.JPG

Harry O,

Thank you for your reply. I need the steel hardware, no shelves, to rack mount a Crown DC-300A amp and Crown IC-150 pre amp. These will be driving Cornwall I's. I can run the Crown continuously, and it never even gets warm. Can you guide me to some sites for the steel frame work for rack mounts? I also have a Thorens TC-160 turn table that I want to build into the cabinet with the rack mount.

Thanks,

twins0649

Check your local music stores. Most will carry a variety of racks preassembled, rack bars to make your own racks, and different components to custom make your rack.

The Crown DC-300 won't get warm by itself unless you really load it up. IF/When you enclose all the gear together I think you'll start accumulating some heat. You might want to leave room for a fan just in case.

I ran the 300's and "ICEY" 150 (where ya at Duke?) for years. Virtually indestructible.