Updating Heresy Speakers

KDNoyes

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion and I won't debate the technicalities that you use to arrive at it. If I was using my speakers for lab purposes or my reference was meters instead of music, I'd probably agree with you, but like nearly everyone who has replaced their K-77s with CT125s, I'm happy with the new sound, theoretically correct or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Objectively the CT125 is a mismatch with first order networks that have squakers extending up to 6KHz. Just beacause one likes its overlapped sound cannot not in anyway make my analysis wrong.

You are right that moving the high-pass crossover point of the tweeter down from 6000 Hz to 4500 Hz without changing anything else would mean that both the mid-horn and the tweeter would reproduce the band 4500-6000 Hz. Bob Crites sells his A/4500 crossover which also rolls off the midrange at 4500 Hz, so doesn't just reply ton the mid-horn petering out at high frequencies.

I have the A/4500 and CT-125 combo and it works well for me.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

How much do you know about them?  Born date or?  I have a pair of 81's in OW that rock along w/my LS.  Where they from?  Condition?  Xovers?  Drivers?  Tweets?  How do they sound to you right now?  You want to modify them or leave them alone?  How's your gold card?  :)

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, jselt53 said:

So this was an interesting discussion...but now it is 12 years later.   Does anyone have any current recommendations for updating my Klispch Heresey Ones?  Thank you in advance for any guidance.

So this was an interesting discussion...but now it is 12 years later.   Does anyone have any current recommendations for updating my Klispch Heresey Ones?  Thank you in advance for any guidance.

I like the Heresy 1 just the way it is ,  as long as it has these drivers ......K-55V Alnico-K-77 Alnico round magnet and K-22 EP  woofer  ,  1 modification  does enhance the bass response , a klipsch  K-28-K   4 Ohms woofer .

35 minutes ago, RandyH said:

I like the Heresy 1 just the way it is ,  as long as it has these drivers ......K-55V Alnico-K-77 Alnico round magnet and K-22 EP  woofer  ,  1 modification  does enhance the bass response , a klipsch  K-28-K   4 Ohms woofer .

My favorite K-33's of all time were the Square Magnet P versions, which I believe were made by CTS of Paducah, hence the "P" designation. So I'm not surprised you prefer the K-22 with a P designator it it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RandyH said:

Thank you, but your opinion concerning what you like about the original (that I also liked in certain rooms) was not part of the question about the Mod/Update from the most recent Poster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Thank you, but your opinion concerning what you like about the original (that I also liked in certain rooms) was not part of the question about the Mod/Update from the most recent Poster.

no sweat  , I have 3  woofers that I alternate in my Heresy Speakers   with the E network .......k22EP square magnet , K28-K  4 Ohms Woofer ,   and the K-42 Cast Woofer 

• Haha 1

The crossovers certainly need to be updated with new capacitors.  Recommend you reach out to Michael Crites, or order new good quality capacitors and do the work yourself.  Dayton Precision Audio capacitors, Sonicaps and Jantzen capacitors are all good choices.

18 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

The crossovers certainly need to be updated with new capacitors.  Recommend you reach out to Michael Crites, or order new good quality capacitors and do the work yourself.  Dayton Precision Audio capacitors, Sonicaps and Jantzen capacitors are all good choices.

Apparently you didn’t see the memo - JEM is The go to for Klipsch crossovers - 😉

Does anyone have any current recommendations for updating my Klispch Heresey Ones? 

you can purchase klipsch Capacitors from  @JEM Performance   to upgrade your crossover capacitors   , these  are tested and approved by Klipsch  whereas all aftermarkets are not  .

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

JEM Performance Audio

3319 Piedmont Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15216, United States

(412) 401-6915

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

no sweat  , I have 3  woofers that I alternate in my Heresy Speakers   with the E network .......k22EP square magnet , K28-K  4 Ohms Woofer ,   and the K-42 Cast Woofer 

So what crossover changes do you make so the not stock Heresy 1 woofers sound right?

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

...help me out here, wouldn’t the crossover from a 4 ohm woofer be significantly higher to the squawker using the E network designed for an 8 ohm woofer?