Cabinet Stuffing Heresy Cab and Corn Scala.

Question using polyfill.

For the Heresy Cabinet: I have built Bob’s CS-1 Robbed Heresy Cab. Its ~1.9cu Ft. I’ve added ¾” birch ply to the outside to stiffen the sidewalls. The inside of the Cabinet now has Sonic Barrier 1/2" Acoustic Foam w/PSA 18" x 24" I intend to add Pollyfill to the cabinet… I was told for sealed cabs 1lb per Cu ft is the norm… does this make sense? Any suggestions?

The Corn-scala is now 2.25” thick. 3/4“ MDF, 3/4” Maple Ply, 3/4” Birch Ply. Using a ton of screws and wood glue, have built the Cab. The Cab is super solid! The Back Panel is 1.5 thick… ¾” ply x 2. The front is 3/4 “ ply. That Said I want to use Foam and Pollyfill to enhance the Cab and stop cabinet talk. I was planning to use 1.25” 3 layer foam… nicer stuff (Sonic Barrier 1-1/4" 3-Layer Damping Material w/PSA 18 x 24") and I want to add Pollyfill. From the reading Ive done… some think Pollyfill is super important for vented/port cabs… How do you get the stuff to stay put? How much to use with a 6.2-6.5 cu ft cabinet?

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.

Theoretically you should not have to add any fill to the H cabinet. The H-II had an open cell pore foam rubber insert that was like a "dome" over the woofer, but there is no other filler. Given the description of the current dampening layer of sonic barrier, you may want to try it with no other filler at least at first. Unless it's a ported design, any additional filler may not be desirable. I cannot recall, but there have been several threads in the past that discussed "fill", poly fill, insulationfiller, etc on the Heresy. The consensus, as I recall, was that it was not desirable. You may wish to send a PM or email to DrWho regarding this issue. Have fun, and do post what your results are.

[H]

Nice work on the CS-1's ...

I built a pair myself & like you I stiffened the H cab's with 3/4 Oak ply . I use them as High's for my 7.2 setup the other speakers are 4 CornScala's that I also stiffened everything using my Cornwall cab's . for the center I built a CS-1 but reworked the size to fit my entertainment stand ,total volume is the same , added 2 SVS PC12-NSD for sub's ... I am in heaven now with this set-up, Music is drop dead awesome , movies are way better than any movie theater => the 60" Sharp LCD really adds to the mix .. Now if could only find time to build the grills instead of watching Blu-Rays L O L ....... Bob Crites was a pleasure to work with & I am Soo happy with his work,advice, patiance, care with packaging /shipping , He really made the experiance in building my dream HT system a reality ...

as for stuffing the CS-1's I really don't think it's needed ,for the CornScala's i did the Wal-Mart polyfil to all the insides much like the oridginal Cornwalls paper padding was .. the Bass response from the Crites 15" cast woofers is to Die For ... a vast improvement on the Klipsch woof

keep up the good work

if you use this stuff you only need it on one of two parallel sides. one the top or bottom, one the left or right, you don't need it at all on the back or the front because the mounted drivers has the same effect.