SACD player worth the investment ?

jason str

I have to say after listening to Artto's, member here, SACD player side by side with my Oppo DV-981HD there is no comparison. His stand alone player was hands down the winner. Now is it worth it, I would say if you have a good amount of SACD's then go for it. It also depends on which player you are going with.

How much are you looking to spend on the player?

James

I've been pondering over this Pioneer unit just for redbook CD use. For $229, it seems like it's worth taking a chance.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AudioComponents/Hi-FiAudio/ci.PD-D6-J.Kuro

I need to do something for a CDP...my Rega Planet is pretty well wanked, all the other vintage CDP's are wore out, and I'm down to my 8-9 year old Pansonic RP51 DVD player for listening to CD's.

Only brief experience I have with an SACD player is my 60GB PS3. I bought the DSOTM SACD and have listened to it a few times. I didn't realize when I got my new 120GB PS3 that it didn't play SACDs.

The DSOTM SACD is a hybrid disc, it has the regular CD, SACD 2 channel CD and multi-channel SACD all on one disc. The multi-channel sounded excellent.

Both my Sony ES CD players have been bulletproof since new so i would probably gravitate to the same i guess but i have not made any type of decision as of yet.

I also saw saw that pioneer and looked it over previously but the only experience i have with pioneer is car stereo goods ( head unit, amps, passive EQ ) but the price looks nice.

If the sound is above and beyond what a compact disk is able to reproduce i think its time to start having a better look around.

I am somewhat surprised that Blu Ray hasn't taken off for multi-channel high quality music. Doesn't it have more potential than SACD?

I bought an SACD player years ago, figuring that I would use it a lot. But I still only have a handful of disks to play, althought they are excellent to my ears.

I have a Sony NS999ES that plays SACDs. The question of if sounds better has two answers. Yes, SACDs do sound somewhat better than regular CDs when I play them on the Sony, but if I use my external DAC (Cambridge Audio DAC Magic) regular CDs sound better than SACDs through the Sony. The DAC cannot handle SACDs. All of this is two channel. I hope this makes some sense.[8-|]

Recently i was tossing around the idea to invest in a SACD player for 2
channel music, anybody here have some input on the sound quality over
CD's ?

1 bit, 2.8mhz sampling is MAGNITUDES better than CD. In fact, it is well in excess of anything vinyl or reel to reel can do. However, whether the actual recordings sound better than CD's is entirely up to the engineering...and there's the rub.

Dave

What Dave said....

I have a Sony SACD trying to remember the model Its the entry es model that is also a changer. I had it modded by the guy at SACD mods and it sounds remarkable - provided the disk is well engineered. Looks to me like most of the SACDs now a days are classical. Not a lot of new releases in other genres. Having said that I find myself not using the changer all that much. My CD player or my music server with the Benchmark DAC sounds great on most disks.

Josh