Klipschorn Road Trip 2010!

fini

I'm just about ready to head out on my 5+ hour (each way) trek to pick up my 2nd pair of Klipschorns I bought (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/138729.aspx) from forum member dth31. These have the very desireable Greg Roberts built V-Trac horns with Beyma CP25 tweeters, BMS 4592 mids (16 ohm), and ALK Engineering A
series replacement crossovers. Dave is making the equivalent trip, renting a truck to haul the beasts up North from San Diego. All together, we'll be travelling over 1100 miles today. And we won't be leaving California!

I'll take pictures of the adventure and post them upon return (and a few beers and a good rest!). I'd like to thank Dave for being a DREAM seller. In addition to giving me a killer deal on the horns, he's been superb at communication and planning. He kept me first in line, when other folks offered deals that were I'm sure way more convenient for him. He's truly a fine gentleman!! He will have to take home about 75 albums (of the 500 I have to get rid of, per a "deal" with my wife). I hope he finds a few keepers!

I'm off!!

• Moderators

Congratulations Fini, I remember you brining home your first set and having to move some bookcases, I think it was, to get them in the corners.

I hope you didn't trade an foreign exchange student in this deal. [:o]

lordy, what on earth will you do with 2 sets of Klipschorns?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... what fun. good on ya!

woo

Double stack like this guy in Germany did with KLF30's Stick out tongue

I did double stack the Cornwalls in the church for a while... the aesthetics committee (yes, there is such a thing) ultimately pulled the plug and said no. But the sound was kickin'![;)]

woo

woo

What a fine gentleman! Loaded the K-horns into his minivan and then went inside McDonalds (we met in their parking lot) to sit and visit for awhile over some food and drink. I'm really glad I was able to sell the K-horns to someone who will so obviously enjoy them, even though I think he just bought them to get the V-tracs! In any case, I hope he enjoys them--I don't have to tell everyone here what fine speakers they are.

Plus he was nice enough to give me a box of records! Nearly all of them with music/artists I like but didn't have on either CD or LP. I couldn't wait to get home to listen to them--I think I was as excited as he was about the K-horns.

Hope you had a safe trip back home, Gregg! Was great to meet you.

Dave

You beat me home, Dave!

Man, I'm pooped...and VERY happy! I enjoyed visiting with Dave and Linda (his wife) after we gently crammed the Khorns (w/ two sets of top ends!) into the van. Great folks! Dave, I'm glad you like the LPs!

I'll post some pictures of the horns manana. Gotta get a little shut-eye...

Many a fine Klipsch trade has occurred in the parking lot of McDonalds, Cracker Barrel, other fine rest areas across this great land. (I'm responsible for more than a few odd looks at those places)

Looking forward to hearing more tales from the road. Sniff, you make me proud mang!

Michael

So the "too bad I'm in northern California and broke" thing wasn't an issue? Smile

Uh, yeah..hee hee...ahem....I "borrowed" a bit from my retirement savings, thinking I'll eventually recoup a large portion of the investment when I sell the Khorns. The purchase was (to me) mostly for the V-Trac upgrade, and the addition of the Khorns will make the deal economically feasable for me. I really feel like it's my lucky day, no buyers remorse whatsoever (DUH!). I'm just a little bummed that this meant I couldn't make it to that Glen Beck rally in DC...[+o(]

Khorns certainly doing better than the market at the moment so has alot of vintage gear. Just think if we had purchased RCA or Western Electric equipment 15 to 20 years ago. ahh. You can enjoy your investment instead of sitting in a bank or some invisible concept of value.

So the "too bad I'm in northern California and broke" thing wasn't an issue? Smile

Uh, yeah..hee hee...ahem....I "borrowed" a bit from my retirement savings, thinking I'll eventually recoup a large portion of the investment when I sell the Khorns. The purchase was (to me) mostly for the V-Trac upgrade, and the addition of the Khorns will make the deal economically feasable for me. I really feel like it's my lucky day, no buyers remorse whatsoever (DUH!). I'm just a little bummed that this meant I couldn't make it to that Glen Beck rally in DC...Ick!

Indeed [+o(] [+o(] [+o(] [+o(] [+o(] [+o(] [+o(] [+o(] [+o(] [+o(]

Khorns certainly doing better than the market at the moment so has alot of vintage gear. Just think if we had purchased RCA or Western Electric equipment 15 to 20 years ago. ahh. You can enjoy your investment instead of sitting in a bank or some invisible concept of value.

Excellent point, Iain, and one I've used to justify many of my purchases.

Many a fine Klipsch trade has occurred in the parking lot of McDonalds, Cracker Barrel, other fine rest areas across this great land. (I'm responsible for more than a few odd looks at those places)

When I sold my KG 3.5s through craigslist we met at a McDonald's. Chatted with the buyer for a good 15 minutes about speakers and audio in general. He had a budget of $100 to spend on speakers but upped it to the $150 he bought my3.5s for. He said he was mainly looking for Bose but had heard good things about Klipsch. I told him he made the correct choice.

• Moderators

I laughed when I read that, remembering what happened with passing off your industrial LaScalas.

We we taking them out of the jeep and loading them in an unmarked van, in a Ryans parking lot, many people were giving us strange looks. After putting them in the van we were covering them with blankets so when your friend would stop some where else if someone looked in the couldn't tell what was in there.

The looks we got were from "what are they doing" to " should we call the police, this don't look right". I really thought the police were going to show up.

There we stood talking in a restaurant parking lot in Mississippi at 8 PM, with commercial looking speakers covered with blankets in a van from Louisiana whose driver was from Indiana. The speakers were from Louisiana and I had NO receipt for them and I didn't even remember the sellers name I picked them up from. The van was bought out of state by someone else and Michaels friend was just picking it up and bringing it to Indiana for someone else.

It would have been tough to sell that story to the police, even if was all true !