Crown D60 question

Wrinkles

That's pretty much the way they sounded.

Newer versions had a different opamp and sounded better, but the older ones cannot be upgraded without a lot of blood, sweat, toil, and tears.

The D150/D150A and DC300A of the same vintage were the same, but even more so (if you get my drift). I usually describe the D150/D150A using terms like 'broken glass'.

• Moderators

I don't know, I use the D-75's, but I haven't tried anything else. Partly because i need 4 channels and that makes it a little harder to just try another amp, plus there connected with XLR connectors.

They are really low distortion and built tough, I just have no experience comparing them to another amp.

My Crown PSA-2 sounds so much better on the upper frequencies.

I'll try the D60 amp on the LaScala bass cabinets once I get the XLR to RCA adapters in from Monoprice.

I contemplated replacing the input caps, but it would be too much trouble.

Thanks for the input.

[:$] I haven't heard it yet.

Next week, I'll be getting Mike Lindseys modded Lascalas. I'm going to pair those speakers with the Duke and an Anthem TLP-1. I've been aquiring pieces for a while and the speakers are the last piece of the puzzle. Ashamed to admit that I'm a SS man at heart.

• Moderators

I feel a little better, ever since reading the first part of this thread I have been wondering, I like the sound....but ?

If I ever get the chance to have two amps the same or a 4-5 channel amp I want tot try it out.

Consider yourself lucky to find one. It could be older than you.

Back in the early days, Crowns did double duty - for home applications with the DC 150 pre-amps and professional sound reinforcement applications.

DC300s and DC300As served as the yeoman power amps for many concerts that we attended as kids. Many D60s and D75s were the bastion power amps for broadcast monitor applications. It's a testament to the robust 'built in the USA' quality that they're still around today. We grew up with the stuff. How many 1970 cars are still on the road today? These amps deserve a modicum of respect in their senior years.

In regards to your D60, if taken care of (caps & etc.), it should be around for another 50 years. Enjoy. Slainte.

Hamish