Shipping Speakers

rl1856

My dilema: Too many speakers so a fall project of mine will be to sell some. But I want to be sure that the speakers arrive intact.

How should I pack a pair of Herseys to withstand the rigors of shipping ?

How about something twice as big (JBL C46 ) ?

Anyone have advice on the cheapest way to ship accross country or overseas ?

Thanks,

Ross

Check out Craters & Freighters. I've used them to ship speakers, large console radios, and extremely heavy/large WW2 communications equipment and they do an amazing job. They pack to survive an airplane drop! Prices are reasonable and, apparently, they have locations across the country. They will also pick up the stuff at your house or place of business.

http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/cf/home.do

If you want to DIY, you will need 2 inner boxes (18W x 16D x 28T) and 4 packs of the "foam board" sold at home depot in the lumber section. You use the foam board on all sides, top and bottom surrounding the speaker in the inner box.

Then 2 outer boxes (20W x 18D x 32T), use the remainder of the foam board in the same fashion to keep inner box tight and centered.

You can also get ambitious and buy a couple sheets of "luan" for about $12. Cut the luan to match the exact internal dimensions of the outer box minus 1.5 inches. Slide these pieces between the first two sheets of foam board. Unless someone deliberately stabs the box with a forklift, it's pretty much bullet proof.

Don't forget to put a piece of luan on the bottom of the box, before putting the inner box inside. Also put a piece on the top of the box before closing it.

Luan is not that heavy, and while it will add about 10 pounds to the weight, it will protect the boxes from just about anything other than being dropped from 10,000 feet..... LOL!!!

You can also do that luan trick on the inner box as well.

Hope that helps.

[H]