Tell me about the EPIC Series CF1 please

Wrinkles

There is a local seller that wants to sell his.

There seems to be little information positive or negative on these in the forum.

The owner states they have a 6 inch deep port.

And of course I have read the specs in the retired speaker section.

Are the diaphragms (phenolic) for the horn easy to come by?

Looks like bass augmentation may be required.

Was there more thatn one version?

So, I'm looking for opinions.

I appreciate and trust the knowledge base here.

Thanks,

Wrinkles

Can't help you with the CF1's, but I have a pair of CF3s which I love. I scored them very cheap on CL. I had heard that parts were tough to find so I also picked up a replacement tweeter on ebay.

After about a year I began to have some hi-frequency issues on one speaker. It turned out that one of the crossovers was dicked up. Both went to Bob Crites and his son did a very nice job on the recap / rewire.

On some recording I find them to be tad harsh and have to pay attention to the tone controls, but most of the time they just sound great. I am amazed at how clear they are when the big knob gets turned clockwise.

Enjoy.

found a pair of the cf3's at a local shop but they want 600 for the pair. is that a good deal? one speaker has ripped plastic trim on the upper corner.

read a review on this forum saying the cf1 and cf2's were better than the 3's

are they worth trying out at this price? i won't be able to crank them up so moderate level listening and running with an onkyo 905 receiver

oops sorry don't mean to hijack a thread. if you like i can ask mods to move my post

Hey BOSNG,

I bought the CF1 speakers yesterday. I am very impressed with their sound as they apply to TV vocals. I will be playing around with them to see just how good they are. Low volume works very well when listening to TV. Movies, I do not know yet.

There seems to be few people on the forum that have the CF1 model or experience with it or maybe I should have posted in a different category. Does not matter now, as I own them.

There are many more Forum members with the CF3 or CF4 models. You may want to start a new thread with this topic as there is little response or interest in the CF1.

There are different versions of the CF3 and CF4 series which have different port tube setups. Some are better than others supposedly. I have no experience with the CF3 or 4. A new thread will garner more info. And more searching in this Forum for info.

Also, get the serial numbers and call Klipsch and get replacement tweeter and woofer availabilty and cost. The tweeters I think may be difficult to find.

Not a problem with hi-jacking as this thread is pretty much irrelevent for me now since the purchase.

Have a great day.

Wrinkles

The epics were a very good speaker series that came out in the early 90"s.I have a pair of cf-3's.Should have come up with the extra bucks for the 4's.These speakers have been seving me well for over 15 years with no issues.They are capable of insane volume levels with no distortion at all.The bigger the better in my opinion.I would forget the cf1's and look for a bigger pair.Though even with the 3's i use a velodyne sub.The 1's would be great paired with a sub.I picked up a servo controlled 12 inch 1000 watt powered velodyne for $400.00.Epics are perfect rock-heavy metal speakers.Although they are also great with classical or jazz.Just make sure you have an adequate amp.I run a yamaha m-80.You dont need that kind of drive for cf-1.Whatever your choice is i wish you luck,happy listening!

There is a local seller that wants to sell his.

There seems to be little information positive or negative on these in the forum.

The owner states they have a 6 inch deep port.

And of course I have read the specs in the retired speaker section.

Are the diaphragms (phenolic) for the horn easy to come by?

Looks like bass augmentation may be required.

Was there more thatn one version?

So, I'm looking for opinions.

I appreciate and trust the knowledge base here.

Thanks,

Wrinkles

Anybody who finds themselves in Virginia Beach is welcome to stop by for a listen. I think that the CFs are highly underated, especially when you consider the price at which you can introduce a pair into your domo. You can save enough ching to update other components in your system and drown in bourbon.

I have no doubt that the big H-mothers (KHorns, LaScalas) etc are amazing and someday I'll own a pair. Until then I'm thrilled with what my ears have sucked in since the day I bought mine. Buy a pair and listen for a while. Make the next step up the ladder and sell the CFs if you no longer like them. Even a marginalized Klipsch speaker beats the snot out of 90 percent of whats out there.

(POI)