Why are most Klipsch subs only 10"? (newbie)

FuzzyLogic

Hey,

New guy here (electrical engineer). Interested in buying either a RSW-10d, XW-500d, or RW-12d. The thing that bothers me is that the cheapest of the three subwoofers listed above is the only 12-incher in the group, and based on what [little] I know about speakers, larger cones are more effective at generating low frequency sound.

Why is that? Also, if you have any experience with Klipsch subs and have a recommendation, I would greatly appreciate it. Right now, I've got a moderately sized condo, and am looking for more accurate sound reproduction than sheer power.

Thanks for your time!

I'd wager it's a function of the market. I find most people don't like large obtrusive subwoofers; they want something that's easy to hide away.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the subs mentioned (I've used the Synergy Sub 12 and currently own an SVS PB10 NSD); however, I'd suspect all things being equal the sealed XW-500d might have an edge in the accuracy department.

You are comparing different lines, that is why the price is lowest on the RW-12d it is a lower model line. The current listings for Klipsch is not very complete as they have discontinued some models and their replacements have not yet been added to the lineup.

For example there was an RW-10d and an RW-12d, the RSW line had an RSW-10, RSW-12 and RSW-15, there was also an RT line which had an RT-10d and RT-12d. This is just a limited example of the sub line-ups there were more than I listed.

The price in each line always increased with each larger size, but there were several cheaper and more expensive lines.

Is the so called DJ serious? Buddy take your pet meds.

Most subwoofers on the market are smallish to fit into most common living spaces and not take too much space or weigh too much. Cost is also a limiting factor. Fact is most people do not have the money,the space,the will or sourroundings to use HUGE VERY CAPABLE SUBS.

Try and sell a $20000 sub that weighs 600lbs to the common man, you will make much less money than selling $400 units that weigh 50lbs and are satisfactoty in output and extension.