Cleaning up an old silver face

TheEvan

I'm looking for a non-destruction method to clean up the lightly smudged and soiled face of my early-to-mid 70's Luxman L-390 integrated. On the plus side, all lettering and markings are engraved, not screen printed. On the minus side, the engraved bits are then filled with ink. I'm thinking a wax of some kind, non-solvent.

Suggestions?

Test, test and test. I usd to collect and clean all sorts of vintage gear. Rarely did "one method" work for all pieces. Is it a brushed aluminum face plate? If it doesn't have any kind of clear coat (those often yellowed) and since your lettering is engraved, you could use a variety of metal polishes like Simichrome or Fitz that would get the piece looking steller. Have a good thick terry cloth to get the polish out of the engravings but as long as you don't let it sit for very long, the excess polish will come right out. Might want to have a couple of toothpicks(with the tips softened up a little) to help clean out stuff in the engravings.

Any kind of liquid or alochol is ok, but again, don't let it sit in the lettering engravings for very long or it can start to take the ink out with it.

Just make sure to test in a small area (preferably a hard to see area) and start with less! Less product, less pressure, less rubbing. And work your way up as long as you're not damaging anything.

My brother used an aerosol stainless steel cleaner from ZEP on an old Pioneer amp and it came out fantastic. I tried to clean up a few units with various methods / products and my results weren't nearly as good. I did have success, but at twice the effort and with half the results.

You might look into this next time you're at Homies Depot or Lowes.

I am sold on a product recommended to me for sticker removal from album covers several years ago by Allan Songer: Krud Kutter. Available at HD and Lowes, this stuff is simply amazing. Of course, follow Scott's stellar advice to test as you go, but this stuff is my second, no, third favorite liquid.

135207_300.jpg

Ahhh, stainless steel cleaner, yes. In fact I just may have some at the shop. I fear the Krud Kutter because it is a degreaser. If it sits down in the engraved bits I'm afraid of the ink softening or worse. I figure I'll start with the most benign substance and work my way up. As clean as the old girl is, the SS may well do the trick. This is what janitorial folks use every night to clean water fountains, elevator control panels and such.

Remove offending face-plate from amplifier, fill sink with warm water and dish liquid, leave to soak 5-10 minutes along with any knobs or switch covers that may have been removed. Scrub gently, use old toothbrush for them hard to get to places, rinse and let dry. It's the most effective way.[:D]

I once tried to clean the front panel of an older Onkyo receiver. After removing all the knobs, I sprayed the panel with 409 and scrubbed it reeeel good.

If you haven't guessed what happened, scroll down......

While the front panel ended up all purty and shiny, all the lettering dissolved and ended up in the rag!!

There used to be a product designed to full in engraved leters on a metal panel. It was like a grease pencil only softer.

Lee

Scrub gently, use old toothbrush for them hard to get to places, rinse and let dry. It's the most effective way.Big Smile

Make sure you remember also to thoroughly rinse your wife's toothbrush before returning it to the holder in the bathroom. Adding a tiny bit of toothpaste to hide any residual nasty taste is a thoughtful touch.

Scrub gently, use old toothbrush for them hard to get to places, rinse and let dry. It's the most effective way.Big Smile

Make sure you remember also to thoroughly rinse your wife's toothbrush before returning it to the holder in the bathroom. Adding a tiny bit of toothpaste to hide any residual nasty taste is a thoughtful touch.

Fini, you are obviously a very considerate husband, I hope your wife appreciates it....[;)]