Redifining Cornscala

radiogram

Dear members:

I would like to propose the terminology "Classic Cornscala" to clearly distinguish what the original cornscala was conceived from and how it as evolved today for the following reasons:

1. When someone today mentions today, it is hard to comprehend what drivers or dirver horn combinations he/she(!) is using for the mids and highs since there are many flovors today.

2. To give due credit to the people who inspired this concept - Bob Crites & James Cullison for their original work on Cornscala that was defined as follows:

CLASSIC CORNSCALA:

Bass - Cornwall Bass bin

Mid - K55/K400/K401

Highs - CT125/K77

Your thoughts?

I built that exact defined cornscala spring 2005. Spent a ton of time getting the "exact" internal cabinet volume and cabinet volume displacement of the K77, K57-K and K601 by dunking them in water.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/56013.aspx?PageIndex=1

Interesting that not many of the "classic" ones were built but there are a bunch of variants out there. The biggest change by most was the loss of the K400.

jc

" The biggest change by most was the loss of the K400."

This is the most important factor not only in how it sounds but it the design of the crossover. There is simply no reason to cross a Cornscala over at 400 Hz when the woofer will go nearly to 1 Khz! A smaller horn will not load a driver down low enough to use a 400 Hz 1st order crossover. A K55 might survive under those conditions but it will have its proverbial tongue dragging the ground doing it! The lower efficiency of the direct radiator woofer requires totally different high section settings compared to a horn woofer. This is why the Universa; network is not appropriate for a Cornwall or Cornscala.

Al K.

Here is one of the latest Cornscala sets built. I think close to 100 pair have been built around the world by now that I have had something to do with supplying at least some of the parts for. Probably close to 50 variations of cabinets, drivers, or crossovers in the 100 pair. Probably still, the most commonly used midrange is the K-400/K401 with the K-55 or Atlas PD-5VH.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819616214946_thumb.jpg

post-9312-13819620354914_thumb.jpg

Bob is right when he says most of the Cornscalas are built around the K400 horn. I have seen it may times right here on the forums and I cringe very time I see it! I suppose it's party because so may are available having been retired after upgrades. The Selenium horns pictured have GOT to sound better! When I built the "Heresy on steroids" speaker I use on my TV / home theater setup I used the K500 horns I removed from my Belles just to "store" them someplace. They didn't stay in there long!

Al K.

Mr. Klappenberger, with all do respect my friend, do you have a wooden horn that replaces the cornwall horn?

I'm new at this upgrade stuff, and I read every thing thats posted as far as cornwall/cornscala goes and I get confused very easy.

Al pointed you in the right direction, I have a pair of Dave's in my Cornscala's hooked up with Bob's Atlas drivers and Beyma tweets and couldn't be happier!

Actually: I will be shipping the very last set of Martinelli horns in about a week. Martinelli has been making them for me but has moved on to doing other things and will no longer be making them. Dave Harris and I will be developing horns equivalent to the Trachorn 400 and 420. The Fastrac K for the Khorn is in the pipeline but Dave has hurt his hand and needs to let it heal before he does anything more. I never did offer one for the Cornwall.

Al K.

Here is one of the latest Cornscala sets built. I think close to 100 pair have been built around the world by now that I have had something to do with supplying at least some of the parts for. Probably close to 50 variations of cabinets, drivers, or crossovers in the 100 pair. Probably still, the most commonly used midrange is the K-400/K401 with the K-55 or Atlas PD-5VH.

Bob Crites

Very nice. I like the little two ways.

• 2 years later...