Changes to my Cornscalas

justinsweber

Ive now finished my CS-1s, adding acoustic foam. The Cornscals seem to have a very low WAF, so I send them away for some help. My Cornscala’s are back from the finisher… bit of an upgrade of sorts… My wife didn’t like the natural Birch Finish of the Speakers… So I laminated another ¾” maple to the outside edge and laminated ½” MDF to the inside back panel.

The inside dimensions are 14” deep X 24”wide X 35” tall = 11750 cu in = 6.8cu ft. I’ve worked 92+hrs this week... I might be off a touch. I’ve found my dimensions to have produced fantastic results. I will again be using Eminence Kappa Cs, PH800/PV55 CS125 tweeters.

The Cab is now 2.25” thick on all sides, 1.25 for the rear panel and stained in a dark brown walnut.

Though there has been some discussions as to where acoustic treatments work, I’ve decided to may healthy use. (I’m basing this decision on the differences it made in my CS-1 speakers. )The sides, top and bottom will get 1” acoustic foam, the back panel is getting 1.25” thick 3 layer foam. I will take the suggestion to try one with and one without.

post-39161-13819616324634_thumb.jpg

post-39161-1381962043839_thumb.jpg

As an interesting update. I added acustic foam in the cab. 3 layer 1 1/4" for the back panel, and 1" for all other sides. The bass was exaggerated and just did not sound right. I removed all the foam from the sides and gave it another listen... and again sound like sh*t. All foam out and things really sound wonderful again. All the remaining foam is headed back to parts express. $80 painful lesson.Bob Crites advise to me when I asked was "a good cab doesn’t need foam, etc to sound good." Too simple advise for me.. so I had to learn on my own... Wish I had just listened. That said... No foam for me in the Cornscala's or the Heresys. The CS-1 sounded good with foam... go fig.