forte II Replaced Stock Crossovers with Bob Crites Custom Built Crossovers

John Chi-town

All I can say is unbelievable! I cannot believe the sound improvement. Just replaced about a half hour ago, the seperation is outstanding along with improved, tighter bass response!

My forte II were built in early '92, this is the only modification I have performed. Thought about titanium tweeter diaphragms, but did not want to change the sound of the original speaker that drastically. There were sound qualities that I bought them for that I do not want to change that.

Kudo's to you Bob Crites for an outstanding product. Wish I had the time to do earlier in the weekend so I would have more time to enjoy before Tuesday morning. Oh well, not so bad it is only a 4-day work week this week.

When I first bought my Forte's several years ago I thought why waste my time and money on upgrades since the Forte's sounded so good. Eventually I upgraded the caps in my crossovers (I also set them up for bi-amping) and noticed an improvment. Next I upgraded to the Crites tweater diaphrams and was impressed again with the high end. Then I upgraded to the Crites midrange diaphrams and was impressed on how well they blended with the Crites tweater diaphrams. Finally I installed spikes and noticed a tighter bass.

Fortunately after all this time and money I am still enjoying my Forte's.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first bought my Forte's several years ago I thought why waste my time and money on upgrades since the Forte's sounded so good. Eventually I upgraded the caps in my crossovers (I also set them up for bi-amping) and noticed an improvment. Next I upgraded to the Crites tweater diaphrams and was impressed again with the high end. Then I upgraded to the Crites midrange diaphrams and was impressed on how well they blended with the Crites tweater diaphrams. Finally I installed spikes and noticed a tighter bass.

Fortunately after all this time and money I am still enjoying my Forte's.

I am doing the same thing you did and have new crossovers(BEC's), new titanium diaphrams, and soon will get Crites midrange diaphrams, and then get the spikes.

When I put in Crites midrange diaphrams I'll post how each upgrade changed the sound. Overall I am very pleased with the upgrades and highly recomend BEC for upgrades. [:D]

the sound is more laid back than stock midrange. Also Bob is working on developing a titanium diaphragm for the midrange as well.

That is okay they are not too expensive so I can try em out. If they are not quite what I want I can try whatever titanium diaphragm for the midrange Bob comes up with.

After in stalling the crossovers the midrange seemed a bit bright to me but after installing the titanium diaphragm for the tweeters it helped but having the midrange tamed a little more might work in my system.

Sorry to jump in here but I have a similar situation. I have a pair of Forte 1s that I am going to upgrade. I don't consider myself an audiophile by ANY means. Does anyone know if there is much difference in getting Mr. Crites to build all new crossovers or just sending in my networks to be recapped. I know that all new ones would get the network off of the back of the terminal cap but am really just curious about how much of an improvement in sound a totally new network would be. I do plan on getting the titanium tweeter diaphrams as well.

Really just wondering if I need to spend the extra $135. I could use that extra money to replace the crossover in my KLF-C7 and get a new titanium tweeter diaphram for it as well.

Thanks,

Austin

In speaking with Bob, before I replaced my networks, he indicated that the rebuild of the originals will give you about 80-85% of the gain versus new. With "New" Networks, vs. New Caps you are getting a better auto transformer than orginal, etc.

I could not believe the difference after the upgrade: Improved seperation, better bass and highs. I waited about 2 weeks before replacing the stock tweeter diaphragms with the new titanium and was impressed again.

Thought about doing the midrange, but there is no titanium and I do not see the benefit of replacing original with another "Fiber Composite".

So changing out the autoformer and low pass coil increases the subjective improvement of the sound by 15-20%? I don't think I can buy into that one. Maybe you misunderstood? It must be the cedar boards. The PCB does have the advantage of providing the shortest path, least amount of connection points, and soldered connections - a big plus because of the mechanical and acoustical induced vibration inside the cabinet. .

Not trying to argue here, but you seem like you feel that you know more than others, because of your thousands of posts. I answered a question from some one other than you, and told them ver batem what Bob & Mike Crites told me as to the difference of updating caps vs. new networks.

Here's an idea, present your theory to Mike and Bob, and see if they agree that the difference is the "wood".

I know a thing or two -- it doesn't have much to do with my post count though.

I know Bob very well, I think I'll wait for his comments. I know what he would say to me if I made a comment like that.

I wasn't trying to be argumentive either, just trying to point out that considering the actual parts involved in the changeout, I think the level of improvement is overstated.