Forte II vs. Epic CF3

mutfish

Hello, new to forum but have been reading with interest. Anyway I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Forte II and a pair of Epic CF3s, series 3 both in mint condition for similar money. As much as I'd like to have both...one pair will have to do.

I've read gleaming reviews of the Forte's but can't find much info on the Epics. Any insight would be appreciated.

Welcom to The Forums!

Both sets of speakers are well regarded.

The Forte IIs are 3 way, the Epic C3s are 2 way.

I believe the Forte IIs would be better balanced and have smoother highs and more pronounced mids.

The Epics are good speakers, but the Forte IIs are considered to be some of the best speakers that "do it all" Klipsch has ever made.

(Both speakers make good bass).

Try to listen to them both on the same day and decide.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

I have both CF3s and Fortes (not II's). You cannot go wrong with either, but I tend to prefer the CFs. Those jumbo boxes can make huge sound.

Find the money and buy both. Everyone needs more than one system, or set them up for HT. Or, whichever pair you don't buy, post them up here and someone will be very happy.

• 1 month later...

The EPIC (3) 2 way has got to b, the most renouned speak up until 2011...

there is no doubt about it!

Your point?

Frank W.

What I got is that the CF3's "renouned-ness" expires in a couple months? I dunno. [:P]

The Forte II's are an EXCELLENT speaker, especially with the Crites tweeter mod. They would get my vote.

• Like 1

The EPIC (3) 2 way has got to b, the most renouned speak up until 2011...

there is no doubt about it!

Your point?

Frank W.

What I got is that the CF3's "renouned-ness" expires in a couple months? I dunno. Stick out tongue

The Forte II's are an EXCELLENT speaker, especially with the Crites tweeter mod. They would get my vote.

Ha! You might be onto something!

I have Crites titanium tweets in my Forte IIs as well. IMO, they ought to be on most anyone's "short list" of speakers to try.

Haven't heard Epic CF3s, though, so I won't comment on the "vs." thing.

Frank W.

I bought the mint condition Forte' IIs and am very happy with them. Just received the Crites caps and titanium diaphrams for an upgrade.

A friend worked at a Florida high end audio store back when..and said the CF3s simply outshined everything else they sold at any price.

The old Epic Series are unique as they were a nearly complete departure from the "Klipsch" sound. Designed by Roy Delgado, the original CF-4's and CF-3's had heavy woofer cones with neodymium magnets. The compession drivers were also a heavy duty pro type unit with aluminum diaphargms and neo magnet structure as well. If memory serves, there are three incarnations of the CF-4 and 3, the original being the most desireable as they retained all the design features Roy put into them. The later models had some cabinet and tuning modifications, lighter woofer cones etc. which strayed from the original design. I believe the only way to easily tell if you have the original version is by the depth of the port tubes. If they are approx. 6" deep, they are the original and possibly the version 2. If the ports are 2 to 2.5", they are the later version. This is not to say the later versions do not sound good, they were just a change from the original which, IMHO, sound awesome! Another thing to consider with the Epics is the availablilty of replacement parts if needed, especially the original woofers. Now the Forte' II's, solid speakers which sound great and replacement parts and upgrades are easy to find, save for maybe the passive radiators. Just my humble $.02.

• 6 years later...