Suggestions for a Short Metal Speaker Stand

AnalogWave

I'm looking for a 12 inch metal stand to put a large bookshelf speaker on and I'm comin' up with nuthin'. Something I could fill with sand/shot to keep resonance to a minimum. Ideas?...

You can make great speaker stands out of a piece of steel sewer pipe which is available in different diameters. Between their weight, and filling them with sand or shot, they are extremely stable (and heavy!!!) and resonance free.

I'm looking for a 12 inch metal stand to put a large bookshelf speaker on and I'm comin' up with nuthin'. Something I could fill with sand/shot to keep resonance to a minimum. Ideas?...

You can make great speaker stands out of a piece of steel sewer pipe which is available in different diameters. Between their weight, and filling them with sand or shot, they are extremely stable (and heavy!!!) and resonance free.

This is one area where NEW is the way to go, not used!!! [^o)]

Dennie

This is one area where NEW is the way to go, not used!!! Hmm

Dennie

Tru dat!

I'm not exactly Zorro with a soldering iron either, so an acetylene torch is absolutely outta' the question.

I can easily find wood stands in 12" height - do you think resonance would be a problem with such a short stand? Speakers weigh close to 35 lbs apiece.

Whew, dodged the potential typo there!!

Oh, and how do you like the Emotiva gear? I'm thinkin' about a pair of their UPA-1 amps.

I had an UPA-2 that I loved and only sold it so I could go to a completely separate amp/pre-amp setup. The LPA-1 I have now sounds and performs exactly like the UPA-2. A pair of UPA-1s would be astounding.

I read somewhere that Emotiva recommends the UPA series in some cases for speakers such as Klipsch. The XPA series can introduce noticeable hiss at at idle due to their extremely high gain structure and the high sensitivity of Klipsch speakers. I believe it is an issue more with the XPA-2 and XPA-1, the most powerful of the XPA amps.

Ok guys, I know when I'm beat!!! But, the stuff does work. In fact, Poptronics once ran an article about building a speaker using it, and it actually sounded good (http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/ax/addenda/media/weems_drainpipe8.pdf)!!! But, next time I'll choose my wording more carefully, like saying "steel sanitary clear effluent pipe!!!!!"

Wuzz... I think they offer the UPA-1 for $300 apiece if you buy two or more, so we'll see what happens for Elf Season - I've read they had a nice little sale last year. And hey, 30 day trial window.

I talked to a Tech at Emotiva last week asking about the XPA-2 vs. the UPA-1 and it was his opinion that the UPA-1 would be the better solution for a 2 ch setup biased toward SQ. He didn't want to give the impression the XPA stuff was 'bright', but that it would be more so than the UPA-1. I can't let 200 watts a channel completely outta' the bag without unwanted attention, so I'm just looking to improve the bottom end and detail. Bryston, McCormack, etc. will all remain a mystery to me as I just don't have the bank.

Nice, easy to make, approximate cost to make is about $30 (wood, paint, screws, finishing nails, wire, and the terminal cups); can hold up to about 15 pounds of weight (SCUBA soft weights are the easiest), can support well over 75 pounds, etc.. Takes a day to make them.

No rude comments please: The ones shown were made for a neighbor for his 901's. That's what he has, and what he wanted.... I just do the "wood".....

The top "plate" is removable by screws, and in this instance the plate is actually the same size as a Heresy "footprint" (minus 3/4" on the left and right).

If I make them for someone, I would edgeband the "plates"; this pair was in the man cave, and ole' Bubba' wanted to see and hear what they would sound like, so I told him to bring over the 901's. After listening to the 901's.... I put on a pair of Heresy's which made him cry a bit. But when I fired up the Klipschorns, he was downright distressed !!! [6]

I'm just waiting for the next phone call from him in re: "Can you rebuild a pair of Klipsch Heresy's for me?....."

[H]