Parasound HCA1500A Ground Loop Question

pierceb

Greetings all,

I bought a Parasound HCA1500A to power some DeanG'd RF-7s. In my current (temporary) set up, I'm using a Denon 3802 as pre. There is a pretty serious ground loop hum, which I can appreciate needs to be addressed. I find, however, that the sound is quite grainy in the top end (much more grainy than the 3802). Could this be related to the ground loop problem? I thought the HCA1500A's were suppose to be quite smooth.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

- PB

Hey PB, do you have cable or satellite TV connected to the system? If so, that is usually the cause for the dreaded ground hum issue, so disconnect the cable from the back of the box and see if that clears it up.

Oh and congratulations on the Parasound amp! [Y]

You can also do a search in this section and the HT section for Hum issues.

Dennie

Thanks. I guess I should have tried to isolate the group loop problem and removed it first. That may have answered my question. Unfortunately I've removed the HCA1500A out of my system because I did not find it a good match (too bright in the top end). After thinking about selling the unit, I thought I would ask if the ground loop would contribute to the brightness in the top end.

-PB

Thanks. I guess I should have tried to isolate the group loop problem and removed it first. That may have answered my question. Unfortunately I've removed the HCA1500A out of my system because I did not find it a good match (too bright in the top end). After thinking about selling the unit, I thought I would ask if the ground loop would contribute to the brightness in the top end.

-PB

Yes! Even if it dosen't, you know there is a problem, so it is not going to sound good to you until you eliminate the problem. I'm not saying it won't sound bright to you after you fix the problem, but fix the problem before you make a judgment. It may sound, ahh.......different!

Just my opinion,

Dennie

Having owned a HCA 1500A I can say that it is my opinion that regardless of the humm issues, it is not a very good sounding amp. At least that was the case for my system.

Thanks Josh, that was my impression too, and that's why I took it out of my system. While it seemed to image better and tame the bass of the RF-7's, I didn't like the overall tone of the midrange or highs. I didn't think the ground loop problem was a big contibutor, however I thought I would ask around here before I put the amp up for sale.

-PB

Having owned a HCA 1500A I can say that it is my opinion that regardless of the humm issues, it is not a very good sounding amp. At least that was the case for my system.

Thanks Josh, that was my impression too, and that's why I took it out of my system. While it seemed to image better and tame the bass of the RF-7's, I didn't like the overall tone of the midrange or highs. I didn't think the ground loop problem was a big contibutor, however I thought I would ask around here before I put the amp up for sale.

-PB

I too have owned the HCA 1500 and didn't like it on horns at all. On less sensitive speakers it sounded very good. I had some early model B&W 602s it matched well with and a couple of other "darker" speakers like Polk monitors.