DIY sub for Klipschorn based HT (and music) - Tuba HT - build done (except for finish)!

psg

Thread summary (EDIT 2013-11: page numbers are wrong with new forum).

- Asked about SPUDs or the Tuba HT, decided for the Tuba HT because the riser size wasn't optimal for me with the SPUDs (room layout shown on page 3).

- Questions about the Tuba HT build start on page 5.

- CECAA850 started a build of a Tuba 18 on page 9 and finished building on page 11!

- I started building with my first picture on page 11

- jason str posted his Tuiba Ht on page 12.

- I have more pics on page 17 but that's also where CECAA850 shows off the best finish I have ever seen on a DIY sub. Check it out!

- I have one more turn to go on page 18.

- ClaudeJ1 shows a tapped Horn design for the LAB12 driver on page 19

- An IB discussion follows on 18 and 19.

- Discussion wood filler and gasket material on page 22.

- a few EQ equipment questions on 23 (Behringer FDP1124p)

- my last pictures before the side panel goes on at 23 and 24.

- The sub is in my van on page 24.

- Sketchup layout of the room with speaker configuration on page 25.

- It's functional on page 25. First impressions!

- in-room frequency response on page 27 page 22. Tough room!

- stained and EQ'ed on page 26.

---

Hi all,

I will be taking a carpentry class soon and will be building a sub as my class project.

My system is Klipschorns main, La Scala center and Heresy II surrounds in a room about 20'x18'x8'. My current sub is a Hsu STF-3 (goes to 25 Hz) and it never bottoms out on movies.

I am considering the Tuba HT (probably 24 or 30 inch version) or something that could be used as a second-row stage. Had I not missed the Danley DTS-10 kit sold up to 6 months ago, I likely would have purchased that instead.

The room is shown here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/p.galbraith/BasementHTRoomInProgress#

On the second picture, you can see the Hsu STF-3 under the Heresy II surround. It's unsuable seating space because of the support column anyway, so it's where I could place a large Tuba HT without losing floor space. It's not the best place for a sub to get even bass though, and I have also placed the STF-3 along the front wall with better results. Perhaps I could keep the STF-3 to even out the bass...

Any suggestions? I have read about plans for a Spud clone, but have not seen it, nor do I know if it's close to the real thing.

Edited by psg
  • Like 1

You can PM dtel, he's built and uses a SPUD

Will do!

I've read that mixing direct radiating subs and horn loaded subs is a big no-no.

Interesting. Let me know if you come across a link. Of course selling the STF-3 would pay for a nice amp for the new sub anyway!

I will look for a link about it, but it has come up multiple times on avsforum when guys are talking about their Tuba HT builds and using direct radiator subs in conjunction, the consensus is a resounding DON'T DO IT. If I find a good explanation I will, but from a simpleton stand point I would think you will have major delay issues combining the two which will/can cause cancellation.

If you like the bass you get form the big horn loaded Klipsch you will love the Tuba HT.

Another sub will not be needed in conjunction.

Yeah, that's what i am after.

I think the thinner SPUD would be easier to place (and camouflage) in the room. Which has better extension? Better SPL? (or are they both sufficient in SPL?)

How about low end? the Tuba appears to go down to 20 Hz, and I recall seeing that the SPUD goes to 15 Hz (Or is that the DTS-10 super-SPUD?)

EDIT: I found a thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1236870) whereTheEAR was going to build 4 30-inch Tuba HTs and he already has the DTS-10 Super-SPUD. He could give me the full scoup on the Tuba... but he is lying low these days and making himself scarse.

According to the literature the maximum output is equal @ 126 Db.

The Tuba is more efficient & probably lighter as it uses 1/2" stock, size is unreasonable on both cabinets i see @ 11 x 48 x 45 the Spud is larger than the average potato.

Anybody in Chicagoland have one of these so we can A/B the two ?

According to the literature the maximum output is equal @ 126 Db.

The Tuba is more efficient & probably lighter as it uses 1/2" stock, size is unreasonable on both cabinets i see @ 11 x 48 x 45 the Spud is larger than the average potato.

Anybody in Chicagoland have one of these so we can A/B the two ?

Interesting...

If I went with the SPUD, I was thinking:

- building one for all-the-wall upright placement. Painted the wall color, it would disappear into the room more than a Tuba could.

- possibly using it as a second-row riser, extented with a dummy riser.

- then I figured it will cost nearly as much in plywwod to build the dummy extension, so might as well build two side-by-side !

So it's sort-of two SPUDS or a single Tuba 30-inch (to fit through the door) at this point. My wife likes the idea of a second-row riser (but it's my (only) room to play with)

I'll have to dig up a SketchUp screenshot to be precise, but the
back edge of the 4-four riser would be 3 feet from the back wall. The
room is 18 to 19 feet deep depending on where you look. The front wall
is 20'8" feet wide and the back wall is less (around 18 feet), with a
chunk given up for my wife's computer room.

EDIT: I have added a
snapshot from SketchUp, but unfortunately it's not the final version.
It doesn't have the front wall insets. I made these in 2008 and the
final one no longer displays correctly in the current version of
SketchUp.

Second EDIT: I found an uncorrupted SketchUp file, so here goes:

BasementSketchUpSnapshot.png

• Moderators

I think the stripper pole needs to be more towards the center of the room.

Thats funny.

The spuds were designed to be used in pairs as risers.

I built one and probably will add a second, I am impressed with the single spud clone, the drivers are only $150 for the pair and 2 sheets of plywood. I have never heard it bottom out and I use it to add low bass to the MWM's which I blew my old sub up trying to keep up with. Two people on the forum have a pair of them, I would imagine that would rumble pretty well considering one rattles my wifes china cabinet 34' feet away to the point I need to cushion everything in there because you can hear in from the sofa in the living room.

I heard a fellow forum members theater a few weeks ago with Khorns/LS center, Heresies rear and two 30" tubas. I couldn't imagine anyone not being satisfied! It was outstanding! His were tuned better than my twin DTS10's are, thus, his low end performance was better than mine. I'm in desparate need of an EQ to put a house curve on mine. In the frequencies that mine are doing best at, it is evident that I have more capability, but really either option has tremendous potential.

Thanks guys!

Your two DTS-10 are more potent (and larger) than a pair of SPUDs though, so maybe that is a big vote in favour of the 30" Tuba. I don't think I'd build two though. TheEAR said they was going to build four! BTW, I got a quote for the DTS-10 from the Canadian distributor in Montreal... C$3399 plus 13% tax. I guess that is about the American price plus shipping to Montreal, so that's okay, but so much more than DIY.

A couple of questions... What sort of gear is needed for the EQ? I hear some version of Audyssey may be sufficient?

And also, what if I build two SPUDs but place drivers in only one of them to start? I suppose I could make one of them with a unglued side so I can open it up to add drivers later? I'm thinking I may sell my Hsu STF-3 after they are done and finance the new drivers that way.