DIY sub for Klipschorn based HT (and music) - Tuba HT - build done (except for finish)!

psg

Very nIce job!

Thanks, don't look too close![:o]

I have 0 woodworking training. Combine that with my anal retentive side and there's quite a struggle going on in my garage. I've built a couple of other sub cabs but not one with so many wierd angles. I want things to be perfect, but there's a lot that I just don't know. You can read all the articles you want, but nothing is better than having an experienced hand working with you (which I don't). I do enjoy the tinkering time it allots me though. My biggest issue is keeping everything perfectly perpendicular to the base. Tiny issues on the first few panels are magnified as you go out.

I'll bet. I'm learning lots of stuff at my carpentry class. It never occurred to me that a carpentry square might not be square and needs to be checked!

You'll be done long before I will, considering I'm working 2.5 hours a week on it!

There's a couple reasons I do one panel at a time. One is time, I only can work on it for short periods. The other reason is that I'm only using screws to secure the horn panels to the base. I use clamps and PL to join the sides together and I don't have enough clamps to do multiple sides at once. Without the clamps, the sides aren't exactly flush and even if they were, the growing PL would push them out of square.

If using a nail gun you can do all the panels without waiting for any glue to dry. I understand if you don't have a nail gun (I was lucky enought to have a woodworking friend )

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/128331/1298249.aspx#1298249

Make sure to have patience on finishing the bracing that is visible in the horn mouth, it is easy to get a little sloppy towards the end since you are so close to finishing and just want to be done!

I have a nail gun, at home. But the good saws are at my carpentry class, and I only cut my main panels to the preliminary sizes as on the plan. I understand that some panels need further angled cuts, so I can't take everything home and just assemble it. I don't remember seeing a nail gun there. I suppose I could bring my own! It would make securing the panels easier. So the hold of braids is strong enough to resist PL expansion?

I suppose you could screw them in place, but for me, it would involve more drilling. In addition, I'm following the directions which say to brace after the panels are installed which would make it impossiple to get a nail or screw in the backside of the assembled panel. I also believe the glue would be more vibration resistant than a nail and possibly more vibration resistant than a screw.

I also believe the glue would be more vibration resistant than a nail and possibly more vibration resistant than a screw.

I agree, use the glue wisely. Once the Tuba is put together it will be nearly impossible to fix any annoying virbrations deep inside the folded horn. It would just kill me to finish such a project and end up not being able to use it because of some annoying vibrations. This reason is why I ended up using a TON of PL adhesive in my build.

Yeah, you guys are right.

I didn't get as far as I thought I would in this week's 2.5 hours of shop. I practiced the radial-saw plunge cut in scrap plywood and ended up doing that to cut my access hole. No guides; just align the saw, start it and start cutting. Works well. Then I trimmed panel #1 with the 10 degree cut, but had to wait for access to the fancy table saw. Drilled all my holes through the side panel for eventual screws. Instead of drilling straight through both side panels, I drilled only a bit into the second side panel. That way, if I have to reajust the hole positions on the second side panel, I won't have holes to fill (since I wan't to stain it). I was all set to glue but there was only 15 minutes left, so I didn't. But I plan on an aggressive glueing session next week and will be putting in more than a single panel.

Next week, I plan to glue in the first two panel, cut the circle into the third, install T-nuts and glue that panel as well.

So far it's slow going but I am learning a lot and I am in no hurry. Every part still looks great with no mistakes so far. It's going to be a great day then I connect into my receiver's sub output through an amp! No EQ planned at the beggining but I will look into that whan it works. And only then will I sell my Hsu STF-3.

Be sure to break in your driver before installing, i had mine on sweep for days and still noticed the volume increasing over the next week or so. Not that its a big deal but its kind of irritating having to keep adjusting down the volume between tracks.