DIY sub for Klipschorn based HT (and music) - Tuba HT - build done (except for finish)!

psg

Sabbatical from the forum? Or away from Montreal and busy?

All three actually... [:D]

I'm getting close to finally finishing my media room. That will be nice!

It's looking quite advanced from the pictures... what have you got left to do? The flush LaScala center detail is nice... What have you planned for the ceiling?

• 2 weeks later...

The 125 Hz and 160 Hz nulls don't always show up this strongly

Those look more like boundary reflections or some other source that is out of phase. Were your khorns still set to large when you did the sweep? And you're using an SPL meter for the measurement, right?

Sorry for the late reply. I was away doing field work.

Sabbatical from the forum? Or away from Montreal and busy?

All three actually... Big Smile

I'm getting close to finally finishing my media room. That will be nice!

It's looking quite advanced from the pictures... what have you got left to do? The flush LaScala center detail is nice... What have you planned for the ceiling?

You must be relaxed after a long sabbatical. We government types don't do that very often, although the option is available.

Thanks for the compliment regarding the inset La Scala. It makes a large speaker appear small again. What's left to do is the projector and screen, ceiling, and staining and installing an in-wall rack I also made when I made my sub. I will be building a box under the floor joists where an electric screen will be installed and will be putting in suspended ceiling flush with that box.

The 125 Hz and 160 Hz nulls don't always show up this strongly

Those look more like boundary reflections or some other source that is out of phase. Were your khorns still set to large when you did the sweep? And you're using an SPL meter for the measurement, right?

The KHorns were off completely, as I recall. Only the sub, with crossover set highest-possible (200 Hz) on the receiver.

I am using a very very old Radio Shack SPL meter. I would need to invest in a microphone and mic preamp because I cannot trust the measurements. The calibration files adds a lot of gain at low frequencies, and my badly-correctly frequency responses go artificially way up below 15 Hz. Maybe the rest of it is wrong as well? Whether I go down that path or just stop worrying and start enjoying is another matter.

Yeah, I saw that!

I would have bought one (or two?) if I hadn't built the THT. I tried to buy one before I started the build and they said no. But I have told a friend and my brother about it, both good candidates for buying one.

Peter, do you have to order this direct from DSP in Hong Kong, if so how did that go? Was it expensive?

Did you get a single board?, I am still looking into EQ, IIRC these have 2 channels with up to 6 frequencies that can be adjusted per channel right?

Yes, ordered from Hong Kong. Shipping is a standard $35 for North America; expensive for the weight but not outrageous. You can track it to your home within a week or so. I got the finished version and purchased the plugin only when I received the unit. What it can do varies a bit from plugin to plugin, but the 2-way advanced plugin allows you to set a steep high-pass filter on the crossover portion of the software, and up to six parametric EQs settings. There's no 20 Hz limit like on some Behringer units. It's easy to attempt to correct a frequency response curve within REW on a PC, export the designed PEQ filters in a file and load them into the miniDSP plugin software, add the high-pass and upload it all to the miniDSP via USB.

Peter, do you have to order this direct from DSP in Hong Kong, if so how did that go? Was it expensive?

Did you get a single board?, I am still looking into EQ, IIRC these have 2 channels with up to 6 frequencies that can be adjusted per channel right?

Yes, ordered from Hong Kong. Shipping is a standard $35 for North America; expensive for the weight but not outrageous. You can track it to your home within a week or so. I got the finished version and purchased the plugin only when I received the unit. What it can do varies a bit from plugin to plugin, but the 2-way advanced plugin allows you to set a steep high-pass filter on the crossover portion of the software, and up to six parametric EQs settings. There's no 20 Hz limit like on some Behringer units. It's easy to attempt to correct a frequency response curve within REW on a PC, export the designed PEQ filters in a file and load them into the miniDSP plugin software, add the high-pass and upload it all to the miniDSP via USB.

This sounds like a good idea too, the programability of the unit looks impressive, as soon as I get a chance I will have to read more about this unit. I wa wondering if I would need 2 boards to control 2 sub channels?

Did I read your comments about REW correctly, correct a freq. response curve and this will give you the PEQ files for the 6 available adjust points automatically?

BTW, I still haven't had an opportunity to start the THT, I have the speakers but work has been very busy of late! Add to this a wrinkle in the sub department... somehow I managed to get 2 DTS-10's ordered and enroute to my location. [;)]

Al

The two DTS-10 will be killer!

One miniDSP can handle up to 4 subs differently since it has four separate outputs. I am only using one.

And yes, within REW you make PEQ filters graphically to correct your measured frequency response; the PEQ filter parameters are generated automatically and uploaded to the miniDSP without typing them in. There's a way within REW to let it pick and design the PEQ filters automatically to either flatten the response or match a house curve, but I haven't found how to do that yet. I haven't played with it since that first time, but I might today before movie night.

The two DTS-10 will be killer!

One miniDSP can handle up to 4 subs differently since it has four separate outputs. I am only using one.

And yes, within REW you make PEQ filters graphically to correct your measured frequency response; the PEQ filter parameters are generated automatically and uploaded to the miniDSP without typing them in. There's a way within REW to let it pick and design the PEQ filters automatically to either flatten the response or match a house curve, but I haven't found how to do that yet. I haven't played with it since that first time, but I might today before movie night.

Peter,

Yes, when Danley put the kits back out for sale I jumped right away, I had tried to buy a couple in Vancouver, but the seller wanted more then 2 new units already built directly from Danley! Then I found a un-completed kit in the US but it was so far away it would have taken a 3-day trip just to pick-it up... So now I have 2 on the way. I still have the drivers (Eminence LAB 12's) that I was going to use in the THT but their future fate is unknown right now.

That is great news about the integration of REW with miniDSP, I need to read more about that now. Wow, 4 outputs, 2 for each input, that more then covers what I want to do, or may want to do in the future!

The only specifications I am researching about the miniDSP is the balanced versus un-balanced versions, (powering a pro-audio Behringer EP4000) and the maximum output voltages that each of the miniDSP's can provide. The pro-audio amp needs 2.0vrms to be able to reach reach the rated output, and the website talks about the input sensitivity but the not the output voltages...

What type of amplifier are you powering the THT with?

I tried to buy a DTS-10 from Danley before I started the THT and they turned me down.

The balanced version goes to 2 VRMS. I am currently driving a Monster MPA2250 that is on loan to me using its RCA inputs. I may get a Behringer EPQ series at some point which has RCA inputs as well. I am not too worried about driving the THT to 500W as 100W peaks are rare and loud enough and, for movies, I only tend to get up to 30W peaks at reference levels. I have lots more gain on my receiver sub channel, currently set at -5 dB.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the hi-jack Peter... but i just came across this picture

DONE!

102_3294.JPG

Wow... nice paint job... I notice you mention automotive black + clear coat... you do this yourself? How many coats... what kind of primer... wet sanding?... got a paint booth? I'm contemplating lacquering my center channel... but more to come on that...

thanks...

ROb

Hey ROb, great to see you posting again. I built the box, bondo'd the holes and nit picked the sides till I couldn't see any imperfections. I went over each side several times with a florescent light shining across the surface. I don't own a paint booth but have a friend that does. He sprayed it for me.I believe it wa a Dupont base/clear coat. Not sure if they wet sanded, but I'm positive it was buffed several times.

Built the Tapped horn on page 19 of this thread finally, as a "coffee table sub." Need to trim it up, stain, varnish, etc. Hooked up to my 5.1 last night and did the Audyssey setup on my Onkyo 706 receiver. The mouth of the horn is at my feet. The logic was that since it's an 18-foot horn, I would physically align the driver throat with the corners of the room, since my head is about 5 feet from th mouth. I was wrong about the resultant distance, as Audyssey chose 3.5 foot distance for the sub. The depth and definition of bass on musichas improved tremendously and the impact on and realism on movies is even more so, without pissing off the neighbors in my condo. Keep in mind that I listen at 85 db or less, but the amazing detail I get from my BIG STACK (see avatar) is very satisfying on all program material from my Blue Ray player.