phono cartridge

mdbrien

I'm looking to get back into vinyl and I'm in need of a new cartridge. I have a Technics SL1200-MK2 turntable, Aragon 8008BB amp and a McIntosh C46 preamp. I would love to get some recommendations? I'd also like to hear from anyone that might have a cartridge they're looking to sell that would work with my setup.

I've never been serious into vinyl, so I would also like if someone can point me into the right direction on properly setting up my turntable.

Looking to spend $200-$300 if possible.

Thanks,

Thanks for the testimonial, jhoak. I just got $60 M97xe (from jr.com) to put on my son's SL1200 mk2. He's a serious vinyl junkie. He'd bent the cantilever on the Sumiko Black Pearl that's on it. It's just as well. That cartridge was everything wrong...harsh, tubby, wooly. I'm feeling better about my shot in the dark.

I was using an M97xE ($155 + tax in Canada in 2005) on my SL-1400MK2 and was pleased. A couple of weeks ago, I got a new SL-1210M5G and popped the headshell and M97 from the old turntable onto it.

I was amazed at how much better the same cartridge sounded on the new turntable! More detail and less surface noise.

The sound was a little harsh at first, with the tonearm horizontal, so I lowered the tonearm pivot .3mm to change the VTA a bit and that sweetened up the sound nicely. I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing, so I'd recommend you give the M97xE a try on your SL-1200.

It will probably take 20-30 album sides before the stylus suspension loosens up a bit and the sound smooths out, but it's worth the wait.

Thanks for the comments. I would like to know what you guys think about the recommendation I received from needledoctor.com

They said with the budget I listed, they would recommend a Sumiko HS12 Headshell with a Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge. This would run about $250. Do you think this recommendation would be worth the extra money instead of going with a Shure M97XE?

Thanks

Why not stick with the stock headshell (if the Sumiko is pricey) and put the savings toward a 2M Bronze, or even a 2M Black? I've read that the performance steps up noticeably as you move up the 2M line.

You'll probably be listening to the cartridge for years to come, so a few hundred dollars extra will seem unimportant down the road, and you'll have enjoyed all that great sound for all that time.

I am using the same Technics table that I bought new a couple of years back when my old Yamaha died. At first I used the Shure 97xe and was very impressed with the sound. Not being one to leave well enough alone I upgraded to a Clearaudio Arum Beta that I snagged off of Audiogon. Unless you are a die hard vinyl the Shure is a tremendous value. The Clearaudio is better for sure (pun intended [8-)] ), but at that price difference it better be and if I had to do it all over again I would probably just stick with the Shure for my occasional usage.

I'm looking to get back into vinyl and I'm in need of a new cartridge. I have a Technics SL1200-MK2 turntable, Aragon 8008BB amp and a McIntosh C46 preamp. I would love to get some recommendations? I'd also like to hear from anyone that might have a cartridge they're looking to sell that would work with my setup.

I've never been serious into vinyl, so I would also like if someone can point me into the right direction on properly setting up my turntable.

Thanks,

Since you are just getting back into vinyl, why don't you start slow and cheap. The Shure is a great cart., I use it on my Elac and on my Pioneer turntables and couldn't be happier for the low price and good quality.

If you decide you want to stick with vinyl, then you can upgrade if you feel it necessary. If you don't stick with vinyl, you're not out $300!

Just my opinion,

Dennie

Thanks,

Brien,

Depending on what sound you like the Shure is smooth and really laid back maybe too much, the AT ML 440 is more open and detailed hard to beat for the money.

Jay

I listen mostly to classic rock and R&B so I would like a cartridge that has good bottom end. If the Shure is really laid back, I'm not sure If I would like it. Can you tell me where to find an AT ML 440? Can someone tell me if the Ortofon 2M Blue has good bottom end?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks,

Brien,

Depending on what sound you like the Shure is smooth and really laid back maybe too much, the AT ML 440 is more open and detailed hard to beat for the money.

Jay

Lots of sellers have the AT-440mla Here's three.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440MLa-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B001TH6RQO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285090511&sr=1-2

http://www.jr.com/audio-technica-at440mla-cartridge/pe/AT_AT440MLA/

http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-440MLa-Cartridge

I've always found the AT-440mla to be a little on the "bright" side to my ears. Many like aspect a lot that but I like something with a little less top end. Perhaps I just never kept one long enough for it to settle down.

I listen mostly to classic rock and R&B so I would like a cartridge that has good bottom end. If the Shure is really laid back, I'm not sure If I would like it. Can you tell me where to find an AT ML 440? Can someone tell me if the Ortofon 2M Blue has good bottom end?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks,

Brien,

Jay

The 2M Blue is fine I haven't noticed any issues so far.

Here are the specs. I am going to try the Denon DL110 next.

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 5,5 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz 1,5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz 25 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz 15 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB 20-25.000 Hz
Frequency response 20-20.000 + 2 / - 1 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force 80 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral 20 µm/mN
Stylus type Nude Elliptical
Stylus tip radius r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range 1,6-2,0g (16-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended 1,8 g (18 mN)
Tracking angle 20°
Internal impedance, DC resistance 1,3 kOhm
Internal inductance 700 mH
Recommended load resistance 47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance 150-300 pF
Cartridge colour, body/stylus Black/Blue
Cartridge weight 7,2 g
Replacement stylus unit 2M Blue

The denon dl 160 (homc) is supposed to be a giant killer at under $200. I would love to hear a review from someone here, it also has the right mass and compliance to match well with the technics arms.

I just read some great reviews at needledoctor.com about the Denon DL 160. For the price I would really like to try it out. I see that it's a high output MC cartridge, do you think it will work with my McIntosh C46 preamp?

FYI-

My amp is an Aragon 8008BB, Preamp McIntosh C46, CD player Jolida JD100, Turntable Technics SL1200MK2, Speakers 60th Anniversary Klipschorns[:D] and LaScalas

Thanks for all the help!

The denon dl 160 (homc) is supposed to be a giant killer at under $200. I would love to hear a review from someone here, it also has the right mass and compliance to match well with the technics arms.

I just read some great reviews at needledoctor.com about the Denon DL 160. For the price I would really like to try it out. I see that it's a high output MC cartridge, do you think it will work with my McIntosh C46 preamp?

FYI-

My amp is an Aragon 8008BB, Preamp McIntosh C46, CD player Jolida JD100, Turntable Technics SL1200MK2, Speakers 60th Anniversary KlipschornsBig Smile and LaScalas

Thanks for all the help!

Mark,

I have never heard the Dennon DL160, so I can't comment on it but, the AT MLa 440 is awesome specially for the price and it will work with anything!!! You would probably have to pay $500 or more to better it IMO!!!

Jay

I'll have to go with Canyonman at this point.

The AT440 is a great cart for the $.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC05&Category_Code=A3

I've had mine a couple of years now and I love it. Right out of the box it was a performer and took little break in time. The initial set up on it wasn't critical like a lot of carts I've used. It's very forgiving on "average" vinyl and it has a great sound stage to it.

I just picked up the Denon 160 about a month ago and it's not broken in yet. I think it's going to be a great cartridge when it loosens up a bit more. The initial "hollow' sound disipated quick on it and it's getting better the more I use it.

I'm running a Thorens TD 125 early Swiss table with SME 3009 II unmodded with Grace Ruby as my #1 system and comparing other carts to it is tough. I'm running this through a PS Audio PS III rebuilt and upgraded by PS Audio through a custom built McAlister PL series preamp. IF there's an issue this system shows it immediately.

Inexpensive carts I've liked are the Grado Black standard at $55 but I can't recommend them on the Technics tables. There's a hum factor talked about a lot on forums with this combo and I ran into it on a 1200mkII recently for the first time. It's the only time I've had the hum issue on my favorite "cheapie" cartridge but I guess the talk is for real on it in certain circumstances.

Now for the Shure M97. It does work well on the Technics tables. I've got one on an old Sl-1400 and sounds very good on it. Good cart for the money imho.

I bought the Shure to use on a beautiful AR XA as system #2 but it wasn't a good match and after a couple of stints in different tables it made it to the SL-1400 and that's where it's going to stay as it does match well WITHOUT an external phono preamp.

Just my impressions.