7.1 down to 6.1 ?

dtel

• Moderators

With a BD player and component cables, the BD player has side and rear outputs. My speakers are three across the back for 6.1. [:S]

I have no way to put side speakers (that size), there is wood burning heater on one side wall and a big window and I don't have an extra Forte anyway.

Should I connect the rears and leave the rear center disconnected ?

Or does the side speakers on a 7.1 have more info ?

I don't have a problem with just 5.1 at all. The BD player is not going to be here until Saturday and just want to know how to set it up when it gets here.

Yes I agree. There aren't that many 7.1 sountracks. Yes the rear side speakers do carry more info then the rear surrounds. But yes I would leave the rear center disconnected unless there is a way to set 6.1 on your blu ray player or receiver. That way that speaker can properly be matrixed from 5.1 soundtracks (most common) because if you just hook it up and its set for 7.1 I don't think it'll be matrixed properly and may not sound as good. just my .02

• Moderators

I never thought about the BD player possibly having a 5.1 or 6.1 setting in the menu, I will have to look.

If there is nothing in the menu and the rear surround channels are are just a combined signal from the side surrounds I may do better using the side surround signal for the rears?

If all else fails read the book ! [:$] I hope the manual has something in it about this.

Thanks

• Moderators

You know I was just thinking the other day, " I wonder if a split LaScala would fit above the TV", but it will not. I was thinking this because Indyklipschfan's HT is all industrial LaScalas and sounds unbelievable.

A while back I asked my wife if "she wants" we could sell all the forte ll's and I could get a pro model about the size of a Forte for the center and the rears. It would eliminate the two fortes sitting on the MWM's and could be Ht and 2 CH all in one. She said were not getting rid of the Forte's, she has no problem with all the speakers in the living room, 6 forte's 2 mwm's and a sub.

I asked if she wanted grills on the big 402 horn and across the front of the mwm's and she said she likes the way they look, " I like seeing the horns"

So it all stays the same......I can't complain. [Y]

• Moderators

I found the manual on line and this is what it says.

" When connecting to a 5.1CH home theater or receiver, connect all the Analog

Audio output jacks from this product except for the Surround Back Left/Surround

Back Right outputs "

So I wonder If the surround L+ R outputs is just a matrix of the other rears could I use one for my rear center ?

If not no big deal I only put the rear center in because I bought 3 pair of Forte's and it was a rear center or store it somewhere, you will never hear if it on or not anyway.

Back Right outputs "

dtel, you will want to use the side surround outputs of the player and ignore the rear surround outputs. If your amp/receiver is 7.1, you could connect the center forté to one of the rear surround outputs. If your amp/receiver is 5.1, I would go with 5.1.

Frank

Every component I've used that's capable of 7.1 surround has an option to select one or two rear surround speakers. There's probably some equipment out there that doesn't let you do this but none that I've run across.

I always say as long as you already have the speaker(s) you might as well get use out of them!

Back Right outputs "

Alright so your Blu Ray player is capable of 7.1 but is your receiver 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1.....because I can understand that concept if your receiver is 5.1.....and with you considereing going down to 5.1 you already had the right idea. (as far as just hooking up the side surrounds) but does it say what to do if you have a 6.1 receiver? I have to agree, if you have the speakers use them. I wasn't too sure at first because I thought the two rear surround channels were discrete but they're actually mono.....(i knew they were matrixed whenever you played stuff other than 7.1) so it shouldn't matter if you hook up to the left rear surround or the right rear surround (Of course the general rule is to use the left hookup).....but I still think your equipment has an option that allows you to select how many channels you have (the blu ray player and/or the receiver) I just feel if you select the right number of channels it may sound better. Because the receiver knows it only has to send information to one rear surround speaker and not two so the sound may seem more balanced (even though you can easily go set the speaker levels yourself if it doesn't sound quite right) but if the sound is matrixed anyway you can probably get away with just hooking up 5.1 from the bluray and setting 6.1 on the receiver. The receiver will take care of the rest......

• Moderators

The way it's described is the surrounds L and R are matrix and the other rears are discrete.

The receiver is 6.1.

The room is 24' wide and 18' to the sofa and open another 16' behind that.

This is a pic of the room but you can't see the rears in that pic.

post-11804-1381961670228_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819620728604_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The rears were behind that beam in the other pic, from inside the room it looks like this, there pointing down toward the sofa and the middle of the room.

The sub is hidden behind the right MWM, it is only 16" wide but almost 4' long and 4' tall and flat against the wall.

You can see why no center would probably not make that much difference.

I know it looks like the front speakers are spread out far but the sound really wraps around the whole room. I set/balance them with a DB meter from the center of the sofa, it sounds good even in 5.1.

post-11804-13819616708826_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819620736414_thumb.jpg

Yes I understand what you're saying. It probably wouldn't but there's one way to find out. Set your receiver to 5.1.....listen for awhile (play some movies etc.) then set it to 6.1....and do the same. See if you can tell the difference and if you like it.....since you already have it mounted and everything I say use it if possible.......but as I said the best way is to try out both ways..........also call me naive but what kind of fronts are those? I have never seen horns so big. They must be extremely efficient. What brand are those? Can you still buy them? I was just wondering because they look very interesting. I am very wet behind the ears when it comes to hearing and seeing all of the different types of speakers. I still have heard an electrostatic speaker yet either.

• Moderators

Yes I understand what you're saying. It probably wouldn't but there's one way to find out. Set your receiver to 5.1.....listen for awhile (play some movies etc.) then set it to 6.1....and do the same. See if you can tell the difference and if you like it.....since you already have it mounted and everything I say use it if possible.......but as I said the best way is to try out both ways..........also call me naive but what kind of fronts are those? I have never seen horns so big. They must be extremely efficient. What brand are those? Can you still buy them? I was just wondering because they look very interesting. I am very wet behind the ears when it comes to hearing and seeing all of the different types of speakers. I still have heard an electrostatic speaker yet either.

I will probably try that, it is possible my receiver just mixes my rear L + R for the rear center anyway ?

The big speakers under the front side Forte's are all Klipsch design, PRO models, the bottom's are the MWM's, 2 folded horn bass speakers, two 15" drivers on each side. The big horn on top is the Klipsch K402 horn with the K69 driver.

Yes it's very efficient, I can't remember but somewhere around 108 DB. No crossovers on the speakers, the crossover is done before amplification with a EV DX-38, it then goes to two Crown D-75 amps (35wpc). One amp for each side, one channel for the top horn and one channel for the bass horn, on each side....Active crossover and bi-amped.

Same top horn as the Jubilee but with bass bins like the theater and concert speakers, like these bottoms.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kpt-mcm-4-t-grand-overview/

Jubilee link for cinema's

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kpt-jubilee-535-overview/

Jubilees for the cinema use a separate tweeter on top because they have to cover a much bigger area, for the home a different driver is used for the K402 horn ( the big one in the pic) actually for the home the top driver is used for the big horn

Phew, it's hard to explain and keep short, I think it sounds great, and can also fill a giant room if you need.

With a BD player and component cables, the BD player has side and rear outputs. My speakers are three across the back for 6.1. Tongue Tied

I have no way to put side speakers (that size), there is wood burning heater on one side wall and a big window and I don't have an extra Forte anyway.

Should I connect the rears and leave the rear center disconnected ?

Or does the side speakers on a 7.1 have more info ?

I don't have a problem with just 5.1 at all. The BD player is not going to be here until Saturday and just want to know how to set it up when it gets here.

dtel, since your BD player has 7.1 outputs and your receiver has 6.1 inputs, I would use the processor in the player and bypass the processor in the receiver. The player will be able to process the latest codexes and send them to the receiver. Check your BD manual for the proper settings. If you have problems, send me an e-mail with your phone # and I'll call you to explain the connections.

Frank

• Moderators

, I would use the processor in the player and bypass the processor in the receiver.

That's what I will do, I can just set the receiver to normal which is where I use it with most multi channel music, for movies I usually use one of the DSP's if that sounds better.

But to me normal sounds better with music, nothing added as in any other effects, seems to sound clearer.

I can just set the receiver to normal which is where I use it with most multi channel music, for movies I usually use one of the DSP's if that sounds better.

But to me normal sounds better with music, nothing added as in any other effects, seems to sound clearer.

I was setting my receiver to Straight mode for stereo music listening or for 5.1 DVD watching and was very happy with the sound. Most surround content is 5.1, so there was no unnecessary processing, thus cleaner sound.

However, when I got the Belles and went to 6.1, I immediately discovered that listening to 5.1 material with the receiver in Straight mode meant there was no signal going to the rear centre speaker. Accordingly, for surround I now use Dolby PLIIx or DTSes 6.1.

So far, the only DVD I've seen that has 6.1 or 7.1 content is the movie 3:10 to Yuma. Has anyone else seen any DVDs with more than 5.1 content?