ProMedia 4.1 No Power

agent1675

Hey everyone - first post in these forums, and naturally I need some help.

I walked into my office earlier today to hook my MacBook Pro up to my Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers that I've had for quite some time, but I'm getting no response from the control pod (no green/red light while plugged in). Anyone here ever experienced this same issue before? To my knowledge we've had no power surges or brown outs, as I was just using the speakers with zero issues earlier this week, and nothing smells burned, so I don't think it's any kind of a surge.

Here's what I've tried thus far:

- Taken apart control pod, visually inspected for damage (none found)

- Reseated the cable connecting the control pod to the amp/subwoofer

- Opened the back of the subwoofer to check the fuse (it's still good)

- While open, plugged the subwoofer in and felt a decent amount of heat coming from the sub (which tells me that all the electrical components of the amp are probably still good and functional)

Am I missing something, or is the consensus that I just have a bad/dead control pod? If so, what (if anything) can/should I be doing to fix it?

Any and all help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Try tracing the connections from the tips of the pins on the connector that plugs into the sub from the tips to the inside of the controller and see if you can find a pin connection for each wire inside the controller, if no then you have a bad connector in which case i can help you out. if the connections are all good then you have a more serious problem which you will need a professional to diagnose which will likely cost around $150

I think so. If I understood you right you wanted to make sure there were the same number of metal pins in the din connector as there were wires going to the control pod to make sure none of the metal pins were broken/missing. If I understood your post correctly then yes. If not, sorry I don't know to much about electronics.

No, Often tiems when these connectors break you don't see the break, it will be inside the plug. what you need to do is trace each wire from the tipes of the pins to the inside of the controller with a voltage meter to make sure that the signal is getting from the inside of the controller to the pins where they need to be. If any of the connections is lost then you need the DIN replaced, I can do the work for you. I do several every week.

there should be a total of 9 connections as the outer circular portion of the plug is a grounded connection inside the control pod as well, if all 9 connections are good then it might be the control pod and it might also be the circuitry inside the sub. More likely to be the sub. If you would like I do buy controllers from people and would be insterested in yours if you don't figure out what is going on.

There is a 4.7 ohm resistor on the panel that sometimes overheats and burns out. It is in series for a power supply circuit. If it fails, though, there could be another problem causing that failure in the power supply (such as an IC preamplifier on the panel). There is a demand for 4.1 controls on eBay, if you end up parting out your system. I think it can be repaired, though.

My 4.1 did the same thing. No red/green light. I took mine apart and didn't visually see anything. I checked the connections and all seemed good. Fuse is good. When I unplug it you can hear something high pitched powering down. It's no very loud. Definetely have to listen for it. When I open the back I can feel a little warmth coming off the (power supply)?

• 7 years later...

I just picked up the same model sub and speakers and i am having this same problem. I opened up the sub and found a resistor that i THINK has been burned near what appears to be the power supply. I really have no business opening up any hardware to try to fix it but i would like to try. It says R26 on the circuit board underneath the resistor i think it burned. The paint or coating (whatever it is) on the outside of this resistor was starting to peel, and started to fall away with a light touch. Could this be causing the control mod to not receive any power? The sub does get hot when i plug it in so it would appear that it is receiving power. But the light on the control mod does not light up.