Romex Anyone

CapZark

I've heard that solid copper wire is the best conductor for speakers (along with a million other options). So why can't I save a few bucks and just buy some 12/2 Romex house wire from Home Depot and roll with that? I've never seen it done so there must be a simple reason not too. I'm just too dumb to figure it out. What's the scoop?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Romex would be a little hard to work with, it does not bend well without correcting every inch to the shape you want. Also it is very stiff and would make terminal ends much harder.

They have cheap prices and good wire, but not the fancy name brand or pretty looking wire.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=speaker+wire

I'd step it up to 8 ga. stranded copper, running it in 3/4" copper pipe (as a shield). Spiff it up with a gate valve if you wanna turn it down a little.

I run gate valves on each wire, that way I can adjust the Bass and Treble separately! [8-)]

Dennie

Fini has the right idea, save some money and skip the gates. However most of us do just fine with twisted strand 14 or 12 ga. sold by the foot at the hardware store. I have some vampire wire I bought in the 80's, but I have to keep it in the dark or it will dissolve. The good thing is that it will live forever otherwise.

Romex would be a little hard to work with, it does not bend well without correcting every inch to the shape you want. Also it is very stiff and would make terminal ends much harder.

Ditto.

I had some Romex laying around and tried to wire up my RF-5s. Didn't go so well. Solid wire is harder to cut, isn't flexible so it doesn't just lay on the floor without you forcing it there, is a pain to fit into closely packed binding posts on the back of your receiver, and at least in my experience, has a tendency to snap. Suffice it to say, I've still got a hundred feet or so of Romex, and my speakers are wired with 14 gauge stranded wire.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a gate valve and where do you get them?

You can pick them up at any fine audio botique like Jegs or Summit, between the Hemi muffler bearings and Caniffering pins, don't forget the propper torque specs on your Caniffering pins, and pick up some grease zerks for your boil-over resistor while you are there.

Roger

The Highly Desirable Gate Valve..........

Brass_Gate_Valve.jpg&t=1

gate_valve_newdiag.jpg

GateValve.gif

Dennie

Why did i not think of this ? A perfect fix for those harsh horns. [^o)]

One of these for each driver is just a fix it all valve.

A quick sonic fix with some fancy speaker wire to top it off and you're set for life.

( Be sure to break in that wire before making your final decision ). [:^)]

The Highly Desirable Gate Valve..........

Brass_Gate_Valve.jpg&t=1

gate_valve_newdiag.jpg

GateValve.gif

Dennie

Why did i not think of this ? A perfect fix for those harsh horns. Hmm

One of these for each driver is just a fix it all valve.

A quick sonic fix with some fancy speaker wire to top it off and you're set for life.

( Be sure to break in that wire before making your final decision ). Huh?

....and don't fall for those "Monster" or "Turbo" Valves......they are waaaaay over priced!

Posted Image

A ordinary Gate Valve will work just fine....

Posted Image

Dennie