KHorn Project.

Guest David H

I recently bid on a pair of KHorn Bass bins with original K-33, and to my surprise was the only bidder. $199

They are in surprisingly good condition other than the front facia. They are missing the top end no mid horn, tweeters, or crossover. (Yeahhh)

post-24405-13819616803806_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381962081187_thumb.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave

Great score. I like following along on your builds but I have dialup connection and all of the projects I see on this forum have pictures that are half a meg or larger. It kind of sucks to have to take a 10 minute break to load 2 photos just to see some glue bottle. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just am. Anyway they look similar to my $500 beaters that I got in July.

1282843732.jpg

But mine are playing as I type this. I was thinking of replacing the one side with the woofer door (two layers of delamination of the Baltic birch) and then laminating either 1/4 or 1/8 inch piece of hardwood plywood to the fronts. The ¾-inch fronts are solid but the corners are beat up from being dragged across the pavement.

1282841969.jpg

The tops are junk but a sheet of ¾-hardwood ply would take care of that problem. This may be a winter project and I would enjoy seeing what you are doing with your new project. Thanks again for the entertainment and inspiration that you provide with your builds and rebuilds.

Hi Dave

Great score. I like following along on your builds but I have dialup connection and all of the projects I see on this forum have pictures that are half a meg or larger. It kind of sucks to have to take a 10 minute break to load 2 photos just to see some glue bottle. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just am.

Join the club. I mean, I don't have trouble loading pictures (and I happen to have a massive collection of glue bottle shots), but I'm a jerk. Come by it honestly, though.

BTW, dial-up sucks, big time. My mother-in-law has it, and I wanna kill myself every time I try to show her something on her computer. IMHO, NOT a good way to save money, IF you use a computer fairly often and value your time...Oh, and that colonial lamp is seriously impressive. Ever had it appraised?

I am excited to get started on my KHorns, but have had a few orn projects to catch up on.

Here is one of the issues I saw with the large format offset to one side tractrix horns, I did not want to eliminate or move the factory top hat brace so I built the "C" brace to install in it's place.

post-24405-13819616827666_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819620828384_thumb.jpg

Could use some mearurements from KHorn owners please.

Here are the measurements I need marked A,B,C

Thanks, Dave

The "C" measurement it to a rounded off corner. What you really want to know is what the measurement would be if it went to a point in the corner, cut it that size and then round it off.

Greg

Could use some mearurements from KHorn owners please.

Here are the measurements I need marked A,B,C

Thanks, Dave

The "C" measurement it to a rounded off corner. What you really want to know is what the measurement would be if it went to a point in the corner, cut it that size and then round it off.

Greg

I thought about that, but decided to flat cut the rear like the lower shelf. I am giving serious consideration to enclosing the backs.

Dave