Age Old question ? Heritage and Surrounds

Johnny TN

La Scala upfront... ok I've done Cornwall and Heresy (in 5.1) but honestly the space requirements are a bit much. It seems most rear surrounds from klipsch at not in wall.. RS52II, THX 525's ect. I dont mind one pair of those...but if I decide to go 9.1...I'd like atleast 1 pair of rears to be inwall. Thus the main question : Is anyone using different brand speakers that have a considerably lower dB then klipsch. For instance I'm interested in using a pair of PSB CW260 as rear surrounds but they are only 88 dB. Sounds not using something like audessey fix the dB issue ? ok maybe timbre wont be perfect, but I'm thinking move for movies anyways.

thanks in advance..

Do you have Room for RS-7s? Or maybe RS-5s?

I bought some RS-7s as place holders untill I could find the time to build a cabinet into the ceiling for some K33 woofers and point some La Scala Mid Horns and Tweeters at the right angle, also built into the ceiling.

But after two years of the RS-7s I do not feel the need, the timbre match for rears/movies is great.

My Academy center is another story . . . needs to be repleaced.

La Scala upfront... ok I've done Cornwall and Heresy (in 5.1) but honestly the space requirements are a bit much. It seems most rear surrounds from klipsch at not in wall.. RS52II, THX5520's ect. I dont mind one pair of those...but if I decide to go 9.1...I'd like atleast 1 pair of rears to be inwall. Thus the main question : Is anyone using different brand speakers that have a considerably lower dB then klipsch. For instance I'm interested in using a pair of PSB CW260 as rear surrounds but they are only 88 dB. Sounds not using something like audessey fix the dB issue ? ok maybe timbre wont be perfect, but I'm thinking move for movies anyways.

thanks in advance..

Lets see, You have Heather Locklear on center, Julia Roberts up front, Sandra Bullock covering the sides, Jessica Simpson bringing up the rear, but now you feel you need to add another woman to the mix, but because of room constraints you feel you need to bring along Ellen DeGeneres, and you actually think this will improve the experience you will have???

Roger

The 650's are a wonderfully performing speaker. The only reason for my change to the LaScala was room size. I'm in 5,000cf and the 650's didn't offer enough SPL for me in that room size. It was immediately clear that the LaScala did that job better. If the 650's were capable of more SPL then I would have stayed with them. They have a warmer more pleasing tone to me than the LaScala do.

So, smaller room I'd pick the 650's by a slight margin. Larger room, the LaScala by a large margin.

Any specific questions?

My room is approx 2200cf.. so much smaller then you have. Lascala I know are actually a little big but they sound so nice. I'm sure 650's will fill the room just fine..atleast 3 of them and 2 subs and 2 thx surrounds as well. So they are warmer huh ? that is a good thing. Uually I listen to music using a tube amp, because the lascalas sound warmer with tube amplication then my receiver. I just worried for music I might lose something going away from the La Scalas. I generally dont listen very high volume.. maybe like -50db on the dial max and my tube amp rarely goes above 4 which is quite loud even at 33wpc. I only have one RW-12 for a sub... so going to 2 THX sub will be dramactic improvement I'm sure.

Sunburn, thanks for suggesting the KPT's I bet they'd be a better solution. Not as stealthy, but not bad either.

Well in my setup they would be allot more stealthy than the rear Belles . I have been tossing this idea around in my head for awhile . These are what I feel would best suit my room setup . http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kpt-1201-specifications/ Should be a slam dunk ! Then my rear Belles would probably be sold to cover the cost . My only hesitation is that the addition of the Belles was a big leap from the Heresys I previously used for the rears .

Anybody have an idea of what the KPT-1201's go for ?