Chicago Gathering - Friday October 8th, 2010 - 6pm

DrWho

I have to thank again Mike and Mike for everything. I great time and learned a lot, thanks guys.

The Pro Corns sounded great, now I just have to tell myself that I don't need a pair. The mod's done to the Chorus II I think have ruined my first time listening experience to Chorus line but that's fine by me. Then the custom speaker, that was very cool to see the work done and then be able to listen to it, a really great speaker.

A great time to see and talking to people face to face, some already friends and to meet new ones, with the same feelings for the Klipsch brand no matter what speaker you have.

James

Btw, I got pulled over before I even hit 72. Traffic was great only an hour and half drive. Would do it again anytime.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really wish I could've gone to this, but on that short of notice, I just could not do it. Both because of work as well as trying to get a plane ticket on that short of notice, they really stick you with the airfare.

Maybe next time. Still would love to get in on a good Klipsch gathering, especially to make up for my botched up trip when I attempted to go to the Pilgrimage (still royally pissed off at Delta over that one).

Now at nearly 9 PM Eastern, where are the friggan pictures? I figure somebody had gotten some pics of the setups there!

Here is Mike (aka Dr. Who) setting up my Harbeth NRG-1 bookshelves - known for their imaging and excellence in reproducing voices and acoustical instruments. Mike is flanked by the PRO CORNWALLs brought by Steve (aka frypwr). The Cornwalls absolutely rocked when driven by the Crown K1s. I am impress by the sweet sound of the combo at "sane" levels.

The Harbeths saw limited action because the Dynaco St-70 brought over to drive them blew a rectifier tube. They were briefly driven by a Denon receiver and sounded clear.

post-36746-13819617495312_thumb.jpg

post-36746-1381962133351_thumb.jpg

Here is James V enjoying the Chorus cabinets. These have the chorus bass matched with the BMS 4550 compression drivers on a QSC $12 horn. Very smooth and extended top. This is the driver mentioned in the lansing heritage forum as a worthy upgrade for ALTEC Valencias/Flamencos as a replacement for the 806a. I was very impress by the openness of the top. Unfortunately this driver barely makes it to 1K Hz. I will be looking for a set of the BMSs....

post-36746-13819617495692_thumb.jpg

post-36746-1381962133383_thumb.jpg

Great pics! Keep 'em coming. BTW, I recognize Mike, but I'd like help identifying everyone else, please.

BTW, JB, your two observations about recycling and folks getting wasted seems philosophically inconsistent. I'd prefer to call it post-consumer (or -consuming) mellowness. [:D]

Great pics! Keep 'em coming. BTW, I recognize Mike, but I'd like help identifying everyone else, please.

I'm the one in the red Blackhawks shirt to my right is Doobie (Scott).

Thanks to Mike & Mike for hosting a great gathering. I enjoyed the company & the speakers (industrial Cornwalls, custom Chorus's and the Emotiva sub was also impressive). I still havn't listened to stock Chorus's.

I finished testing my tubes and fortuneately the least expensive tube (rectifier tube GZ34) failed the grid leakage test.

Unfortunately this driver barely makes it to 1K Hz.

The driver should be good down to around 400Hz or so....it's just that this particular horn doesn't load below 1kHz.

I'm always on the lookout for a 1" horn that is large enough to dig another octave and take advantage of the capabilities of the BMS4550. Taking a 1" throat down another octave is gonna have a bit more distortion when cranking it to the levels y'all wanted to listen to, but at the levels I prefer it shouldn't be a big deal. For those wanting the big SPL, I'd go with a 2" throat if you wanna get below 1kHz...