GIBSON GUITAR'S TOP 50 GUITAR SOLOS

BigStewMan

Of course a subjective list...me personally, i'd remove stairway to heaven and hotel california from the Top 10. I'd definitely move up Dire Straits-Sultans of Swing and Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood.

The Top 10 read as follows:

1. "Stairway to Heaven" Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page)
2. "Eruption"
Van Halen (Eddie Van Halen)
3. "All Along the Watchtower" The Jimi Hendrix Experience
4. "Hotel California" Eagles (Don Felder, Joe Walsh)
5. "Comfortably Numb"
Pink Floyd (David Gilmour)
6. "Free Bird" Lynyrd Skynyrd (Gary Rossington, Allen Collins)
7. "Layla" Derek and the Dominos (Eric Clapton, Duane Allman)
8. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" The Beatles (Eric Clapton)
9. "Johnny B. Goode" Chuck Berry
10. “Bohemian Rhapsody,” Queen (Brian May) [Y]

Go to www.gibson.com for more information and the complete Top 50.

Interesting....as you say, subjective.I doubt any two people would agree on a list.I would let Zepp stay, from a creative/masterfully executed point of view.I'm certain most of the very best leads would never make the chart, much less a list, still interesting.

Some interesting choices with some glaring omissions. I am glad to see Roy Buchanan and Wes Montgomery on there, proving it wasn't just limited to the obvious. Having Arlen Roth, a brilliant guitarist in his own right, as one of the voters, lends some authenticity to the panel. It would be pretty easy to come up with another 50 great solos by axmen to rival this one.

Some interesting choices with some glaring omissions. I am glad to see Roy Buchanan and Wes Montgomery on there, proving it wasn't just limited to the obvious. Having Arlen Roth, a brilliant guitarist in his own right, as one of the voters, lends some authenticity to the panel. It would be pretty easy to come up with another 50 great solos by axmen to rival this one.

Absoultely right. I think staiway to heaven will always be on every list (admittedly, i think it's overrated). I would have liked to have seen martin barre on there for the Aqualung solo; and something from (don't laugh) Glen Campbell. During the 60s, Glen was one of the most sought after session musicians in the business and part of the famed Wrecking Crew. It's just someone's list; but, fun to read and talk about.