New RT12d Hum

shake777

New second sub is noisy at rest compared to my old one. Checked cords and power sources. By noisy I mean I can hear a high (for a sub) pitch hum/whine at complete rest. I can hear it from about fifty feet. My original sub is pretty much dead quiet although it does have the same hum at an nearly inaudible level. Please advise. Have not talked to supplier yet, Are newer subs a little noisy? Thanks, Nic

Found out a goodly part of the noise was coming from my HVAC. Yes, I know, brilliant observation. Also contacted the dealer and they will replace if necessary which is what one would assume except that it was a floor model and I thought that they might give me a hard time. Nonetheless, there is a hum compared to my original sub so the question still stands. Are there differences in the at rest noise two identical subs produce that would be considered normal?

hey shake 777 this is what iam talking about

if you are confused go to www.monstercable.com then type in M 1000 series subwoofer cable

HOME - WHERE TO BUY - INTERNATIONAL - PRESS - SUPPORT - COMPANY INFORMATION clear.gif QUICK LINKS: • Monster Home Page • Headphones • HDMI • Monster Cable China - - PRODUCT - - • Home Theater • THX • M Series • Flatscreen • Power & Amplifiers • Monster Speakers • Digital Life • HP Monster • iPod/MP3 • Mobile • Photo • Game Consoles • Home Automation • Custom Installation • Pro Audio for Musicians • Performance Car Audio • Monster Music • Satellite Radio • Beats By Dr. Dre • Computer • Screenclean • Cable Management - - EDUCATION - - • HDMI Learning Center • Home Theater Guide • Counterfeit Awareness Center - - HELP & INFO - - • FAQs • Where to Buy • Customer Support • International • Product Registration • Warranty • Privacy Policy • Press Center • Reviews • Company Info • Careers - - MONSTER LIFE - - • Famous Monsters • Monster Community • Facebook • Tumblr • YouTube
M Series > Audio Cables > M1000 High Performance Subwoofer Cable

email_to_a_friend01.gif
print_page01.gif
M1000 High Performance Subwoofer Cable
M1000 High Performance Subwoofer Cable
12-Cut Turbine connector.
Y-adapter included.
Dual shield.
Triple solid core bass conductors.
Quadra-pole construction.
Monster Bucks
Earn Up To 54 Monster Bucks

(1 review)

Model: Sku:
Product Description
Model No.
Inventory No.
Retail Price
Reserve Now
Authorized Dealers
select
Select Your Product
12 ft. Subwoofer Cable - 3.66 m.
M1000 SW-12
127704-00
$120.00 ea.
3861,127704-00,8577,0,M1000 SW-12,0
20 ft. Subwoofer Cable - 6.10 m.
M1000 SW-20
127705-00
$180.00 ea.
3861,127705-00,8578,0,M1000 SW-20,0
Close
FEATURES

The Most Advanced M Series® Subwoofer Cable for Serious Movie and Music Enthusiasts Who Demand the Best from Their Home Theater

AttributesOrdinary Cables Can’t Deliver Ultimate Subwoofer Performance
All subwoofers emit annoying buzzes and hums—some more than others. Ordinary cables can’t reject this noise. In fact, they often attract it, especially over longer cable runs. If you’re using a Dolby Digital® or DTS® processor, this noise will limit the Low Frequency Effects channel’s ability to deliver powerful, deep bass. The solution for true audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts who want powerful, crystal-clear bass, but none of the buzzes and hums: M Series® M1000SW Subwoofer.

Reduce Noise and Maximize Surround Sound Performance
With exclusive QuadriPole® construction, M1000SW dramatically reduces noise sensitivity, so you enjoy all the sonic details in your favorite movies without noise getting in the way. Plus, extra-protection dual-layer shielding provides optimum rejection of high and low frequency interference, even over long runs. Three high-purity, tightly twisted copper bass conductors deliver thunderous bass that’s incredibly defined and lifelike. M1000SW is precision engineered to drive your subwoofer harder for music and movie sound effects with ultimate drama and power.

M Series® Adds Blockbuster Bass to Your Home Theater
An advanced HDPE dielectric ensures precision impedance for ultra-low attenuation and maximum signal strength. The result: faster transients and taut, articulate bass with superior pitch definition. Plus, a Monster precision Y-adapter with 24k gold contacts (included) accurately splits and transfers the audio signal for stereo subwoofer hookup. Add M1000SW to your home theater today and start experiencing the blockbuster sound effects in your favorite DVD movies the way they were meant to be heard—and felt.

hey shake 777 try monster cable subwoofer cable the 1000 series its much better than the walmart,kmart,rADIO SHACK *** AND THEY ARE FAMOUS FOR HAVING THE BETTER QUALITY PRODUCTS!!!!!!! its a no brainer

He stated that the hum was there with the sub cable disconnected. How is buying a grossly overpriced cable going to help him? Is just their presence in the room enough to cure any audio ailment?

Correct. The issue is that the sub makes the hum even without any cables connected to it. I have also switched out the power cords and switched positons in the room with the older one and tried every variation on the sub controls but nothing has worked. Thanks for taking the time to consider the problem but as you see, it probably is some issue with the sub itself. Nic

a cheap 20dollar cable makes that hum noise the overpriced cable doesn't make that hum noise

So if the cheap cable is making hum (which isn't true, but I'll give you your premise) and it's not plugged into the subwoofer, then how is the noise from the cable getting into the subwoofer?

As far as cables are concerned, EMI is only one source of noise injection into a system...and I agree that a better shielded cable can improve the noise immunity of the interconnect. Another source of hum would be a ground loop, but a ground loop is clearly not the problem because one subwoofer works fine and the other one doesn't...AND it makes the hum with no cable connected.

It sounds to me like some kind of bypass capacitor, probably in the power supply of the amplifier, has gone bad and what you're hearing is just the 120Hz from the AC being rectified to DC. It could possibly be a bad rectifier, or the ESR of the caps is crap...or maybe even a cold or broken solder joint. However, since this circuitry plugs into the wall, I can't with good conscience recommend that anyone try fixing it on their own. These components may not even be the problem either. Heck, it could be as lame as some flux leaking current into a feedback loop of the switching power supply, or maybe corrosion on a ribbon connector inside, or just a broken internal wire, or a whole host of other problems. Without a circuit schematic and assembly drawing it would be very difficult for an average person to troubleshoot - even if they were comfortable with amplifier and power supply design.

Nevertheless, if you're so confident that the expensive cable will fix the problem, then would you be willing to make some money if you're right? I'll buy the set of cables if they fix the problem, but if they don't, then I think you should be willing to pay for them...

I do think the subwoofer should be tried in the same outlet as the other subwoofer that is working fine. The comments about the HVAC being related to the problem are kinda scary. You absolutely should not have any current flowing on the safety ground in your home...If that solves your problem, then you might want to get an electrician out to verify your home's wiring, and/or the wiring of everything connected to that circuit breaker. While you're at it, try the good sub on the outlet that you've got the bad sub hooked up too...

• 3 months later...

Did you mean 60Hz from the AC being rectified to DC?

Sorry, I worded that poorly. When you full-wave rectify 60Hz AC into DC, you end up with 120Hz ripple on the DC rail. The more capacitance you have on the rail, the smaller the ripple:

http://www.sullivan-county.com/ele/basic_ac_rectification.htm

(See Figure 3)

Btw, have you gotten this fixed yet?

• 6 years later...

Sorry to get this old topic up again.
But I have a similar situation.
I got my rt12d back out of the garage and when plugging in the power cord it starts to hum without any rca being connected. Full power or mute, the hum is always there.

The sub hasn't got a ground pin, so no problems with ground loop, I think?

Did the TS found a solution?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk