Changing Crites Cornscala Crossover Frequency?

Hi,

I'm driving an Bob Crites Cornscala using all the parts from Bob, including his crossover.
I recently read about someone who changed the lower crossover frequency from 500Hz to 600Hz, getting a relly good result.

Since the DIY world is kind of an "try and error" experience, I thought about trying a 600Hz crossing so that I could build my own opinion.

Is there someone who already tried this? What do I need to change? The soldering will be no problem, but I'm pretty new to all the crossover topic so I don't wanna fool around with the crossover without fully understand the theory behind it.

I appreciate any advice

Robert

Guest David H

Robert, there is very little difference going from 500-600hz especially with a first order filter. It may not even be audible. Additionally raising the crossover frequency is often done to protect the midrange driver or because the Fc of the mid horn is not low enough, in either case I think you are safe with your horn and driver.

If you want to make a signifigant change you may want to try a different network altogether. For Cornscala I am anxious to try the ALK AP12-600 with the AP15-6000 I like the design, It's basically a 2nd order woofer filter with a universal top end which incorporates tweeter attenuation.

To this day I have not heard a bad sounding Cornscala.

Dave

Guest David H

I think the networks he is thinking of are the AP12-600 and the AP15-6000.

Those are the ones, I edited my initial post with the corrections.

Dave

Thank you guys for the advice!

So I will try the AP12-600 and the AP15-6000. I've found the AP12-600 designs on Al's site - is the AP15-6000 design also free for download?

Also: Will the crossover change the frequency response especially for lower frequencys? I sometimes think the bass between 60 and 100Hz could be more...let's say "bloomy".

Robert

Robert,

I don't follow your thinking. The AP15-6000 is the top section of the Universal PLUS the tweeter attenuator. It has two inductors and 3 caps. The squawker transformer is located on the AP12-600. The two are connected together by a 3-wire cable that makes each module compatible with my extreme-slope networks. There is no kit version for it. You would need to get all the parts yourself to make it a DIY project.

Al K.

Guest David H

sorry for being unprecise.

My idea was to take the AP12-600 (where I would connect the woofer and squawker) and add the tweeter section of the universal network from your "xover.zip".

Robert

Robert, that is the general idea, but for use in a Cornscala you must add the tweeter attenuator as well.

Dave

Guest David H

Maybe I get it wrong - when I look at the AP12-600 and the AP15-6000 on Al's site, I'm ending up doubling the squawker part - is this right?

Do I really need the tweeter attenuator? I thought I can also do this with an auto-transformer...

Robert

You are not doubling the mid section, you need both pieces, and the tweeter attenuator is necessary.

Robert:

I agree with others that with a 1st order network moving from 500 to 600Hz is not worth it.

Also, not to confuse you, but I spent a few hours at ALK's house last Sunday, and I was mightilyy impressed with the the JBL mid range driver + Al's trachorn, he uses in his modifed Belles. It had a certain palpability and naturanlness that was so good and that too I later realized that the source was FM Radio and not CD or Vinyl! I think he had the JBL 2426 but I do not exactly remember the model. You can check with Al on the JBL driver as well, since I am contemplating myself on replacing my K55/K400 combo (which I a personally do not find that great and actualy prefer the Herseys K53/K701 combo in comparison) with JBLs and Al's Trachorn myself. Just another flavor to think about.

Whatever direction you go, good luck and have fun.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...