Help! I have this huge old system by Music Master

LLS

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yezzir, and wouldn't one expect a premium for TWO, matched minimally by at least simultaneous production, from a one owner source? If I were in the market for a VT amp at the moment, I'd do 500.00 for them in a heartbeat as long as there was nothing obviously completely fried. Certainly a slight risk, but assuming one didn't have to put more than another 5 into restoration you'd be at a grand for a pair of amps with features almost never found in any amp.

Dave

Seriously, Dave? Personally, I wouldn't buy any vintage gear, especially from a new member here, without--at a bare minimun-- seeing many detailed photographs. The only low-rez photo I've seen (of one amp) shows a rusty OPT and a scratched* (by the PT) chassis. It may clean up fine and work flawlessly, but this hardly seems one of a pair of premium-worthy amps. I'm not in the running for these amps (got too much already), but for you to say you'd pay $500 in a heartbeat IF you were in the market does nothing to help determine their true value. We find that out when they actually sell (hence the eBay link, which included a pair of HF-20s, albeit sold separately). I only bring this up for any members here (especially the inexperienced) who might be thinking about buying them, and are trying to figure out how much to pay. Like I said, maybe someone would pay $500, but I'd advise that they learn everything they can about these particular amps before spending any money on 'em.

LLS, good luck with the sale. As I said, posting clear, detailed photos of each amp (top, bottom, sides, insides) will help you get top dollar for them. You can't post enormous pictures here, but making them available via email to interested parties will be helpful. Good luck with the yard sale, too!

* EDIT: Looks like that "scratch" is a written "#1"

JMHO, Gregg. Certainly I might want some sort of DOA agreement, however, I am a risk taker when it comes to very rare and desirable equipment like this. Those extra EQ options are extremely appealing to those of us with a 78 and early 33 fetish, and a variable loudness compensation is equally yummy.

I was hardly attempting to set anything other than a "personal" value. But that's my story and I'm stickn' to it. There are SS lovers here to whom these things would be naught but ugly door stops, and there are those of us for whom they'd be terminal purchases and form the core of a lifetime system.

Certainly my valuation is arbitrary, but it is not capricious.

Dave

Okay, guys...no baiting here. I am a 60 year old retired school secretary and have absolutely no knowledge of this system . . . . .

Have ya'll determined that the OP is a adtually guy (references to "he" abound) ??? The quoted post implies to me that the owner may be of the opposite persuasion. [*-)]

JMHO, Gregg. Certainly I might want some sort of DOA agreement, however, I am a risk taker when it comes to very rare and desirable equipment like this. Those extra EQ options are extremely appealing to those of us with a 78 and early 33 fetish, and a variable loudness compensation is equally yummy.

You are absolutely right. An HF-20 would make a great amp for a dedicated mono system! Especially if we're talking 78s. It'd be nice with one of those single Shorthorns or Khorns that show up on occasion.

I know you're not capricious. You're a Gemini, for sure.[;)] Me? A Librarian...

S17.jpg

You are absolutely right. An HF-20 would make a great amp for a dedicated mono system!

The poster has TWO of them. I was talking for both... Unless the father ran them to death the odds are they need only a few hundred bucks of NOS Valves attention (or equivalent) to be pristine. IMHO, properly summed mono from two or more speakers sounds better than from a single source.

Dave

Sorry DoubleL, but the email never arrived. To post multiple pics you have to do them one post at a time, with a, for some strange reason, at least one letter or word in the main body of the post.

Personally, I don't think $500 is out of range for two of these for sale from the same owner at one time. Probably they were purchased separately at different times when mono went to stereo, but you never know.They are 6L6's so maybe 20 watts tops a side. they were kits so they could have been factory assembled or built at home with mixed results. Worse case schenario, and I really doubt we have a hustler here, she should get at least $350.

Of course, The Parrot lives, so nothing is certain.