can i find such decoder????

friend

since i have a laptop, i cannot upgrade my soundcard. but is there any externel decoder that uses my SOUND OUT port on my laptop and decodes the sound to 5.1 channel??? if yes, where could i find one, how much would it cost? thank you for your help!!!

You would need a digital output to use such a decoder - if your laptop has SPDIF out you can use the midiland ads2000 for example, but I'm not sure a lot of laptops have a SPDIF out.

Otherwise you could use a QMSS decoder to get simulated 5.1 from stereo. Some people think QMSS sounds better than Dolby Digital, but it is not true 5.1. Search for QMSS decoder and you shoud find some.

thank you!!! i've got one more question, say i got a 2-channel to 5.1 decoder. how do i use that with my pros, 'cause they only have two input jacks, but 5.1 decoder would have 6 output ports, wouldn't it? please correct me if i am wrong? thank you!!!

You would set the decoder to 4 speaker mode, just like a software decoder. Then the sub and center outs will not be used. It would really depend on the specific decoder though - for example if you do this with the ADS2000 it will not mix the .1 (LFE) channel, so you will lose it. But it will still be a lot better than just stereo.

I'm not too familiar with QMSS decoders but I imagine they wil work similarly.

------------------

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

-Albert Einstein

hey WhackJob,

thanks for the offer, but how i am gonna use ADS2000. like someone said above, i have to have a SPDIF out on my laptop, which i don't? if you can teach me the way around, i might buy it from you. please let me know!!!