Third Channel Amp Setup

artarama

I have started using a three channel set up and LOVE!! the result. My LaScala's are 15' apart and I have experimented with Heresey, Cornwall I's and Forte II's as the center. I am not sure my equipment set up is the best and would like some input.

I am using a Scott 299A Type II (I think?), the center channel output is not amplified. I run the center channel output from the 299 to the right channel aux input of a Luxman L5 integrated. I have also set it up with the center channel out of the 299 connected to the right channel MIC input on a C-28 then taken the right channel main out of the C-28 to the right channel input a Kenwood M-2. (This sounds the best but just seems to be too much equipment involved.)

I am also concerned about running only one channel of the secound amp even though they are solid state. So far I have hooked them up to a second speaker and just turned the balance all to one side.

I am thinking of using a Marantz MA-700 (good one on CL for $150) but would I need the step up of a pre-amp here as well?

Thanks!

I am thinking of using a Marantz MA-700 (good one on CL for $150) but would I need the step up of a pre-amp here as well?

MA-700 for $150.00, car started and in first gear, wheels turning, I am pulling in driveway now. LOL. The MA-700's make a great center channel amp. Forum member Clermontcop loves his with his Academy. As a matter a fact, they are great for any channel.

would I need the step up of a pre-amp here as well?

Try it with your preamp first and then decide. Either way, that MA-700 is a great buy.

Bill

Try it with your preamp first and then decide

Thanks for the input Bill. I did just that. The center/third channel sounds great with the 700. I currently have it hooked up to the C-28 center output. It is plenty loud as I want it to be less than the mains, however I can turn the volume on the 700 up all the way (200 watts!!) and have the center channel gain up all the way on the C-28 as well without really driving the center Forte II it is hooked up to very loud.?? I am thinking there may be something wrong with the C-28 center channel circuit here. The center channel sounded louder with the Scott unamplified center out??