going old school

leftwinger57

hi guys, this is my first entry to the forum,and hope to get advice and info.

I first started out w/ a h/t system that included the Klipsch 500 set.True it's a box set but the clarity of the speakers make the system .Now I've got some 2-channel gear and want some better Klipsch speakers.My problem is that there are so many models both new and discontinued that I could use some sort of referece guide.Both Marantz and MacIntosh have sites where every model ever produced is listed w/ both tech data and physical descriptions, calling Klipsch they know of no such site.

H/T---Tosiba au 37--Yamaha rx v-665 avr--Klipsch500 spkrs---Denon 1910ci cdp---Yamaha ysd dock

2--channel----Adcom gfa555-- Onkyo p-301 pre---Infinity sm112s---Denon 1910ci--Dual 1219 turntable----Shure pro headphones

My wish is to own a Mac 2105 w/ c-28 pre and either Klipsch Quartets ,Fortes,or Hereseys and all will ok in the world.......lw

Hey Leftwinger57, Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, we're glad you're here!

Now, I'm not sure what you're asking?

You Said: "My problem is that there are so many models both new and discontinued that I could use some sort of referece guide"

To what? The sound? The Size? Which are two ways or three ways?

If you could be a little more specific, we can better help you.

Dennie

Of the ones you listed Fortes are the ones I would pick. Or Forte IIs. The Forte got one of the best reviews ever in the now defunct HIGH FIDELITY magazine, and it does sound great. Haven't really heard the Forte II, but a lot of people here say it's better.

How many watts RMS is your amp?* Even though Klipsch speakers don't need a lot of power, they tend to sound better with an amp of 100 wts/ch or more, IMO.

Klipsch's main website does have many, many discontinued products listed and described ... all the ones you are likely to find on the used market.

Why leftwinger57? Does that mean you are one of the 57 varieties of leftwingers? [:)]

*Yeah, guys, I now know there is no such thing as RMS power, but it is a handy index. In my case, my 150 wt/ch amp will hit 171wt/ch before clipping with a continuous signal, which would make the imaginary RMS about 120, the most conservative of the figures easily obtainable...

hello Dennie, That's exactly the problem, I don't know. Primarirly it would be older floor standers but like I said there's no source where you could compare models.Right now I know that Lascalas, KPHs are way to big so maybe the model which has the passive rear would do. The problem is what's that model what's the difference between Fortes and Cornwalls, I just don't know and to look up each model is really a pain. A company like Klipsch that's been in exsistence for years really should provide some kind of reference guide.Still w/ saying all that prices seem high on most sites as people really know what they have. I was very lucky when I got my Infinitys' it was a C/L sale and the guy had to clear out. For pristine refoamed no cat scratch fever speakers I walked away w/ a set for $40. I don't think this luck will stike again w/ a pair of Hereseys......LW

P.S.

If you get a C28, make sure that one of the phono channels doesn't go out intermittently ,,, that was the Achilles heel of that particular model.

A 2105 should give you enough good, clean power for Fortes.

Are you old enough to know about the McIntosh Clinic? They would set up in stores once a year, test anyone's amp of any brand, give you a distortion at rated power graph (20 -20K Hz), and if you brought in a McIntosh amp, they would restore it to original specs, at no cost, often before your very eyes. In the '60s, I saw them do that with a McIntosh originallymade in 1947. It involved throwing away all the tubes, and changing some caps. It didn't cost the guy a cent.

The Adcom gfa555 rated at 200 w/c so power is not a problem.My pre has never been set more than 5 on the dial and I'm sure the Infinitys would go before the amp clipped.On my H/T system my Yamaha shut down while watching a movie the other day and it's never been on the plus side of their volume scale.The set of Klipsch500s according to the techs can handle all that the Yamaha can deliver and it seems so.

Now for another topic ----- cables right now I'm using 14gauge standard spkr wire. This created such a ruckus on another site ,people responded as if I was commiting a felony, I'm no golden ear and clearly know that distace and resistance are the main factors for me. The Adcom has through hole binders and all other ends are spring loaded, is anybody here going to say that more expensive cables would do anything for my set-up ,I just wouldn't hear the difference...LW

As far as Cables/wire go, just do a search and you'll come up with plenty of threads!

Copper is copper is copper. My Speaker wire came from home depot and seems to work fine. My Cables or interconnects are not the bottom of the line, but I didn't pay a lot for them and they also seem to be working fine! [Y]

I just googled a few klipsch speakers and they were all there! If you have specific questions.....shoot! We'll help in any way we can!

Dennie

Are you old enough to know about the McIntosh Clinic? They would set up in stores once a year, test anyone's amp of any brand, give you a distortion at rated power graph (20 -20K Hz), and if you brought in a McIntosh amp, they would restore it to original specs, at no cost, often before your very eyes. In the '60s, I saw them do that with a McIntosh originallymade in 1947. It involved throwing away all the tubes, and changing some caps. It didn't cost the guy a cent.

I have read about these clinics on the Roger Russell web site but never saw one. I think that is such a cool idea. Imagine if Apple would do an upgrade clinic like that now a day's. They should partner with McIntosh!! The whole industry would benefit if McIntosh did something like this by themselves. Hit the top 50 markets. WOW! Now I am just dreaming. That is truely the high road.

For your dream system, I vote Forte II's. If you get the opportunity spring for the Cornwalls. A nice comparative site for the speakers is a good idea as well. I think however that McIntosh should be envious of a site as good and active as this Klipsch site supporting their products.

I have heard of the MAC clinics and also read Rodger Russells 'paper on all the tests concerning wire and the quality of it. At the other site this man was demonized, called a hypocrit among other names. Most people know that this guy is one of the most respected engineers in his field and I for one did believe in what he had to say.His main point was that you did not have to spend thousands of $ for wire and connecters because as most have said here already in a blind test your not going to hear any percernable difference. Thank you all for throwing out models, but that's the krux of my whole rap, I' need a side by side comparison w/ specs, prices ,availability and condition. Dennie said just ask and I do appreciate the thought but still I want this dedicated site.Guys, if you go to Marantz Legendery classics you'll see what I'm exactly talking about.Some peoples taste in spkrs are just that, and price point becomes a major issue.For me I love the briteness and clarity of the Klipsch product, for others they claim it's to harsh and would pick another brand.As for the leftwinger tag besides audio I happen to like hockey and 57 well I'm getting along in my years.Now as for my favs for speakers through the years here goes.Rectilinear3s---ESS-Heils w/ the radiaters on top---AR3a----Ohm/Walsh2s-----Frazer Black boxes-- and quickly running out of favor but for their day in the sun Bose 901s. So you see I'm living in the past just like a 67 vette collecter.Since hearing the larger Klipsh it's what I want now...

PS---Noel Lee owner of Monster cable was extremely upset at the tests and tried to do some testing of his own. Where I think that wire does belong is in car and moving vehicle applications. So far guys this site is exactly what I've been looking for, it seems were to blue collar for that other site w/ all those golden ears.....Thanks again next post will be on another topic I swear........LW

One of the speaker cable tests of the '80's had an amusing outcome. It pitted some of the favorite speaker cables of those days, including Lee's Monster of that vintage, against each other, and against Radio Shack's El Cheapo very thin "speaker wire" that was meant to string through attics, and made no claims as to fidelity. When the tests were "open" -- i.e. the auditioners knew what cable was being used -- oh yes(!) people "heard" very great differences between the cables. When the tests were blind, the only wire that could be distinguished from the rest was the Radio Shack cheap, thin wire ...but ... not everyone thought it was worse .,, a few liked it better!

I use a very moderately priced low capacitance, low resistance wire, and I'm happy. I'm convinced that everything else, especially the room and all electromechanical transducers (as JBL used to say) is more important.