Help:RF-7 with 325 watt amp,I was told OK,but can it damage crossover parts?

rugerdog

I have soo many questions piling up.I've had Klipsch RF-7 speakers for approx since 2005.I've owned many components,different SA/CD players/Pre amps/Amps/Recievers/Interconnects/Speaker cables/Power Conditioners/Room Acoustic treatments/Foams right in front of tweeters horn opening,trying to get the best or right sound from the RF-7 floorstanding speakers,always sound to bright or harsh high freq from just the tweeter,soo much so,as I turn up volume it's like a high ftreq pink like noise from tweeters.

I can't remeber if it was this overbearing,or such high freq from the beginning.The amp I have benn using off and on for approx 4 years now is an Anthem P2 Statement 2ch amp,325watts per ch.I have owned some recievers in between with less wattage.Where the RF-7 are rated up to 250 watts,could the 325 watts damage croosover parts?

I ask because recently I paralleled the 10watt 2ohm resistor on the HF board with a 10watt 10ohm resistor.Which is suggested on the RF-7 crossover forum.At first I thought it made a difference,but after running speakers for a couple days,I notice no difference,or such a slight difference I can't tell.I paralleled another 10watt 10ohm resistor,only with 1 speaker to see if I can notice a difference from the other speaker which only has the 1 paralleled 10watt 10ohm resistor with the original 10watt 2ohm resistor,I notice no difference between the 2 speakers.

???????

The QSC amps I've been running are rated at 300 to 325 wpc depending on what measurement you use. They've been pushing my modded RF-7's the whole time and I've never had a crossover or driver issue. I've used the QSC's with stock crossovers, resistor modded crossovers and DeanG modded crossovers. I have 4 of them that push my RC-7, RS-7's and RB-35's. Never an issue, never babied either.

More watts give more control and headroom. I've been running mine with 500watts per. ch. for years and it's the best I've ever heard the RF-7 sound! You're worrying too much, you're fine on the wattage part. The RF-7 shouldn't be harsh though. I don't get harsh with mine, even turning them up to 10 or 11 o'clock gets extremely loud but no harsh. It will depend greatly on all parts used in the chain that makes up your system, all equipment needs to be up to par. My RF-7 are stock form just how Klipsch made them and they still amaze me on the presentation of presence and sound. The RF-7 are very revealing speakers so it needs all things equal on quality. In general, all Klipsch speakers I've had, has to meet these rules.

I have run at clipping levels into my RF3II's with a QSC PLXII 3102, which is rated to do 550wpc into 8ohms from 20-20K. Granted, I have lost a couple of tweeters and broke a few woofers over the years, but that was from getting a bit carried away, or an errant signal.

You should be fine with running a 300 watt amplifier, as long as you aren't driving it to solid clipping.

just adding a resistor won't do. a big reason is this, that resistor doesn't control the highs, like in your problem. that resistor is part of a notch circuit and controls the highs in the mid area. i can't give too much technical info on it, but because i can't read into a diagram like others. if you want the full story call or email Jeff at soniccraft.com.

you can search my posts and see what i did to all my crossovers if you like. a quick suggestion, and cheap too, if the highs are just too much for you, you can add foam to the horn. not just any type, antivibration foam. has to be the adheasive backed kind. something like Dynomat. that's the only name brand i know of. (click here for post)

not trying to peddle what i have, but if you can't fine anything like that, i have extra pieces cut for the horns. i sell them for $30 for all 3 horns (2 mains, 1 center). i charge exact shipping. it's simple and works well. if it still bothers you, i would consider a crossover mod.