is this a workable gear ,tubes radio

quadklipsh

hi all techy minds !

i saw this thrown on to the floor in a electronic repair workshop.

its a radio of some jurassic era .

the owner wont let it go for sale , said its his grandfather's .

are these worth trying and keeping as amplifiers .

it delivers 5 watts , but the technician said its busted and we dont understand em well enough ..

here it is

post-38311-138196179409_thumb.jpg

post-38311-13819621680654_thumb.jpg

All antique radios are potentially restorable. What you are showing is probably from the late 1930s. Unknown, of course, is what is doing under the chassis. I seriously doubt that it's capable of 5 watts of clean output, however. In addition, the amplifier of such radios is not capable of audiophile quality reproduction as its circuit was probably designed for a frequency response of maybe 200 Hz to 5 khz give or take. It would not be worth the trouble to rearrange the circuitry, install an audio quality output transformer, etc. in order to make it usable in your system (and, of course, it would be mono). If you can provide information of the manufacturer, model #, tube complement, etc, I can probably give you lots more information if it was made by a US manufacturer. These radios, when restored, can provide enormous listening pleasure; so, if the owner decides to part with it at a reasonable price, buy it! I speak from experience, having restored many hundreds of such radios over the years.