Suggestions on New TV

Mallette

Bottom line, once you get the money in your pocket, make a call and go get your new TV. Save the aggravation.

Dead on, and that's my story. I've stated right in this forum that the very best TV I ever saw wouldn't fool my cat. It is in no way to me like an audio acquistion and doesn't require the study.

So, the next 90 days on this thread will make the decision clear at a given point in time, no looking back. TV isn't a Klipschorn.

Dave

many downsides to a dlp, cant mount it, replacing bulbs, possibly color wheels, not to mention picture quality is limited in comparision to the other types of tvs and for a 60" dlp at 1000 you can pickup a plasma for less than 200 more, owned dlp and the lcd/plasma/led send them to the curb, also if you need a 73" dlp you might want to consider projectors, i think the people that would benefit from dlp is a very slim margin, also one must wonder how much the stand costs to place a 73" tv on :o im not sure id go spend 1000+ and not research what im purchasing, thats like going to a carlot and buying something sparkley and have it break down on the way home because you didnt take the time to test drive it

No way is a new DLP picture quality being 'limited in comparisonto the other types of tvs'. DLPs properly calibrated and hooked up correctly offers a nearly unmatchable picture. Wall mounting a tv is way overrated, in my opinion. I think it looks ridiculous having a tv mounted up high on the wall. If you mount it down at eye-level, then you are likely going to have a 12" depth offset between your front speakers and the front of the tv (unless you wall mount your front speakers). The cost of a stand for a DLP is likely similar to that of having to buy a mounting kit for an LCD/Plasma. Also, the cost of replacing a bulb every few years is easily offset by the amount of money you will save on your electric bill over those years (compared to a plasma/lcd).

I'm not bashing LCD/plasmas but just trying to point out that a rear projection DLP is a VERY viable option if you are on a budget but want a big screen.

And they are 3D capable if you intend to go that route. I haven't bothered with the 3D part of it...not really interested in it.

I'm not bashing LCD/plasmas but just trying to point out that a rear projection DLP is a VERY viable option if you are on a budget but want a big screen.

Well, let a thousand flowers bloom, and a hundred schools of thought contend!!

Getting excellent info from all and saving shoe leather (or fingertips). A bit of research suggests that laser DLP is going to be a real contender...but not cost wise in the near term. LCD is, well, passe, and LED backlit LCD pricey but awesome. Plasma looks like the current price/performance champ so far...but the race ain't over yet.

Interest thought on 3D. The main thrust reminds me of when stereo was new. Logically, 3D is the wave of the future. Certainly, the beginnings are not pretty but the future is clear. It won't be all that long until 2D TV will be considered by a new generation in the same light as BW TV is today. My belief is that the ultimate 3D will be a combination of OLED-like wallpaper augmented with holographic imagery.

Well, actually the above is a bit limited. I suppose the Matrix is the really ultimate 3D TV.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Puttin' the paddles to this one as I make mid-stream corrections and move towards a decision.

Samsung PN50C490 or PN50C500. Both have very high user ratings and both have been discounted 30% or so in the past week. The C500 is running about 100.00 cheaper and can be had for 799 at several local stores as well as from BH PhotoVideo at that price with free shipping. The main difference is two things: The C500 is 1080P and has network connectivity, the C490 is 3D capable but 720P and has no on board connectivity.

1080P is useful at the moment only for home video and BR discs. However, I watch a lot of Netflix as I have a computer in the system. It would be nice to have Netflix as easily accessible as any other channels. OTOH, I think 3D is here to stay...if still a bit on the first gen side.

All in all, I am leaning toward the C500 as I intend to get an OPPO BD83 at the same time and also because of the connectivity.

Dave

Nice picks Dave.

I picked up a Samsung LN-55C650 last week from Fry's Electronics for $1300. My cousin and I went to pick it up, saved $120 and a few days by doing this. I'm looking at getting either of the new Oppo Blu-ray players, the 93 or 95, after the new year.

Now I also have to pick up a new pre-amp as the Outlaw 950 doesn't have HDMI and it just took a crap out on me. It doesn't even power on so for the moment I'm just using the TV speakers.

James

I'd try to find a Pioneer 9g plasma unless you have to have 3d . I'd personaly wait a few years until they get everything dialed in with 3d .

Leaning that way. I'll pop for 3D if it doesn't cost anything, but I don't think I'll give up anything for it. I want direct connectivity for Netflix...which I watch increasingly. While Blu Ray video quality is a marvelous thing, fact is I'll settle for a bit less quality and the low cost and convenience of point and click when I want a movie. On my own, I mostly watch documentaries and there are a host of them on Netflix I've yet to see.

Also, I want BLACK. Fading to grey just isn't the same...

Having said that, I'd love to see the great B&W classics reissued on BR all clean up, especially the film noir greats. I'll be they're kickn' with a couple of million to one dynamic range. Rather doubt the public will come over the B&W in droves, but few have seen how great these things look on the "silver screen" with enough dynamic range to cover the material. BW films on the vast majority of TV's are like listening to MP3's of classical music.

Dave

• Moderators

I want direct connectivity for Netflix

If the Samsung TV's are like there bd players Netflix should work fine. About a month ago we got a new bd player, Samsung BD-C6500 with wireless connection, it does Netflix without any problems at all. It also does Internet radio, Pandora. I run it through the receiver and was very surprised at how good it sounded. Even CD's sound a little better than the Pioneer I had which died.

Having said that, I'd love to see the great B&W classics reissued on BR all clean up, especially the film noir greats. I'll be they're kickn' with a couple of million to one dynamic range. Rather doubt the public will come over the B&W in droves, but few have seen how great these things look on the "silver screen" with enough dynamic range to cover the material. BW films on the vast majority of TV's are like listening to MP3's of classical music.

Dave

I've got Casablanca on HDDVD, it's amazing.

If you want black on a LCD TV then your best best is LED. Local dimming does a better job but edge lit led is cheaper. Once calibrated both of those sets give pretty good blacks. With the edge lit you may see a tiny bit of grey but it'll be very hard to tell. Unfortunately as you stated earlier LEDs are more expensive. But the 46" tvs are around your price range so whenever you are ready to buy check them out. Samsung has a sale on a few 46" LED tvs right now for $999. Plasmas are definitely the best bang for your buck and pretty much all of the current models have burn in protection built in. Most of them shift the images on your tv every few hours. Its so slight that you'll probably never notice it. I've never been a big fan of plasma because of the added heat they output and the added energy they use. Plus I wanted 1080p for Blu Ray and there arent't that many 1080p plasmas out for some reason. So I've been a Samsung LCD tv fan for awhile now. Plus with the picture quality being pretty close to plasma its hard for me to switch. Plus even CNET has admitted that once they calibrated the tvs the local dimming LED tvs have some pretty good blacks. But the best thing for you would be research which you're already doing and if possible actually going to a store and looking at the tvs once you narrow it down to a few models. Of course the bright environment won't help but a lot of stores try to make the tv area a little darker than the rest of the store and stores such as Magnolia use some pretty intimate lighting in their showrooms.

The PN50C550 I am looking at is currently available for 800.00 and is 1080P. Bang for the buck I've not seen better (though open to something I may have missed...hence this thread).

User reviews are 5 stars except for a few DOA's and similar issues.

Dave

I've been looking for something in the 46 to 50 inch range and have
found the Sony Desplays to be quite good. Since I haven't been to a
commercial theater in over 7 years I have no idea what 3D is all about
so I'm not sure I would spend the extra money. One thing I haven't seen
mentioned in this thread is anything about Hz. If I understand it
correctly, the higher the Hz level the less blurr in sporting events.
Is that a reasonable assumption or?

Saw the two listed below at BB just yesterday.

Sony - BRAVIA / 46" Class / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D LED-LCD
HDTV

Model: KDL-46HX800 | SKU: 9904963 ($1699)

Sony - BRAVIA / 46" Class / 1080p / 240Hz / LED-LCD
HDTV

Model: KDL-46NX800 | SKU: 9904909 ($1299)

Reasonble - yes, but not without it's problems. Many 240Hz TVs suffer from the "soap opera" look, where everything looks too "smooth" and motion is "flowing". The result is somewhat unnatural feel to the content. Often times one would need to disable the 240Hz mode or play with other settings to get rid of this effect. Film and properly processed digital content has grain and motion that is not perfectly smooth.

I have a Sony TV and generally happy with it, but I do think that Samsung has an edge right now. I would personally go for a 2D, 55" at least, 120Hz at least internet enabled (netflix, pandora, etc), LED TV for around $1500. This seems to be the sweet spot right now.

FWIW, according to Consumer Reports the way to go for 3D is the plasma route. They say that the Panasonic sets are the best for 3D, because of less "ghosting" in the image, which apparently affects the 3D imagery. All of the 3D capable sets are at the top of the performance heap as far as regular 2D programming goes. Panasonic sets give you 1 pair of 3D glasses, extra glasses cost about $150 each.

Don, i don't know which 3D is the best, but i do know that 3D TVs don't have a better pictures than all 2D TVs. My friend just got a 55" 3D LED LCD television and it is suffering from severe "flashlighting" where corners or certain parts of the screen exhibit a bright spot during dark scenes. Many good 2D TVs don't suffer from this effect.

I viewed a nice Samsung 50" 3D plasma today. Cool but not something I would spend the extra iron on. Maybe down the line when the cost of 3D projectors drops to a reasonable range I'd consider one for the HT.

I do like the plasma though. Watched a little of the Packer vs Falcon game, (painful outcome) and was very impressed with the Samsung and Panasonic. I still think prices will come down before Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have the Samsung 50" Class (49.9" Diag.) 590 Series 1080p Plasma HDTV up and running. Mien Gott, 50" is enormous in my small room. I am reveling in BLACK, BLACK, BLACK which is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Watched "The Human Comedy" (1943) last night on TCM and it was truly wonderful. Cannot wait to see "The Maltese Falcon," "Murder My Sweet," or "Casablanca" in fully restored BR. Of course, the color is awesome as well. All I've done so far is crank the cell light on "dynamic" down from 20 to 13, and that's a big help. Found some settings on line and tried some of those, but could not find these:

White Balance Settings:
Red-Offset: 22
Green-Offset: 25
Blue-Offset: 12

Red-Gain: 33
Green-Gain: 25
Blue-Gain: 33

If anyone knows if these exist, clue me in as to where in the menu.

Downsides: Well, this is the "downside" of an "upside." Sort of like what happens with crappy recordings on Klipschorns. Channels like Ovation with low image quality look much worse with a lot of noise and visible pixelation.

Remote: Totally stunned to find the remote isn't programmable. It's made to mimic cable or satellite remotes and yet cannot be programmed. Haven't seen that in over a decade or more on any decent TV.

Network: Manual says the ethernet connection is to connect to the internet, but provides no further info as to what that gets you. Firmware update is via USB connection, so I am stumped. Seems to get me on my intranet and I can see a PC and my NAS, but it doesn't show any directories. I suspect I just need to do a bit more digging to find that out. However, as there are no references to the internet functions I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what it's for. Right now I am guessing that it was a leftover from a decision to make a "Christmas model" just below those with the Samsung Internet Apps function where I got the hardware but no functionality. i suppose that's OK, as the next one up is the same size and another 400 bucks. I an live with Roku at that price.

Here's the real bottom line, though: I paid the same for this marvelous piece of tech that I did for a 36" Toshiba 100 lb CRT about 15 years ago. What a deal!

Anyway, I am quite satisfied. As you can tell, I decided to wait for the next gen on 3D. I have a lot of hopes for it and I believe it will improve. Not sure when, but expect "specless" 3D will emerge before long. Definitely the "holy grail" for engineers. However, I had a budget and decided for near perfect 2D over first gen 3D with a hit on the 2D (equivalent price 3D set was 720P).

So, less than a grand delivered, and a big hit with the family.

Dave