Need some help - 1973 Cornwalls?

JonBNY

Hey guys, posted this under Garage Sale also...

I
am new to the forum, actually just started learning a little about
Klipsch products today. My father is getting rid of a ton of things
around the house and he has a pair of what I have found to be 1973
Cornwalls that are in beautiful condition. The Type is C-DB-15 and
serial #s are 3L573 and 3L572-R if anyone can confirm what these are it
would be excellent. I also have a bunch of pictures I would like to
post but am not sure how to do it on here. Ultimately we would like to
seel these but I would rather go this route than an auction site. I am
thinking $1500 obo but not sure if I'm in the right ballpark there or
not. Anyway, could use any advice/help. Thanks!

Jon (Troy, NY)

Okay, I was way off, but those are very nice looking speakers. Let's see, walnut finish (or is it stained birch?), brown grills, verticles (all good). If condition is mint you can get closer to a grand. These are not real easy to find.

I just looked at your other thread. They have been re-veneered and the edges don't look factory and the veneer is not the same color as factory speaks. Your price just fell to $500. Sorry about that. It's best not to tinker with them unless you can make them look factory perfect. You may still be able to get more if the person buying them isn't too Heritage savy. That won't work here though.

I don't want you think I'm trying to to low-ball you and "steal" these but if you exhaust other possibilities, I'm will to pay $400 or so depending upon what they look like in the flesh. One plus is I'm close by in Rochester and would pick them up so you wouldn't have to mess with boxing and shipping.

So, if you can't get more for them elsewhere and want to unload them, let me know.

Like what someone else said, they're pretty good sounding speakers. You should consider keeping them if you've got room for them.

Mike

Gee, I would keep these if you have the room. Unfortunately, your price would need to reflect their need for veneer work. That said, if you were willing to put in the time and effort you could make these beautiful again (and worth more)! Don't just take a heat gun right away to that formica looking stuff... do a little research first. There is certainly a lot of help around here for such things.

JonBNY: They's been Formica'd (IMHO).... and formica is..... a pain..... You can get it off, but look at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117315.aspx

That being said, formica is also the ultimate substrate to use with contact cement and new veneer. It's perfectly flat, an when scratched up with an orbital sander and 100 grit, the veneer cement will get into it... forever!!

I agree that you should keep them. Enjoy them for awhile... then make decisions. In their present state, their value is has issues as pointed out. But the cup is half full, not half empty!! LOL!!

[H]