Searching for a new preamp

jamesV

I currently have an Outlaw 950 but planning on getting a new TV by the end of the year. So with the new TV I want to upgrade the preamp to get the most out of the TV. I will still be using my Outlaw 750 amp, for the time being but might upgrade that also.

I'm currently looking at the Integra 9.8 and Sunfire TGP-5 since both have hdmi connections. Are there any others that would be put into this same level? I know Emotiva has their preamp out but with some having problems with them I don't want to same issues.

So I ask my fellow crazed Klipsch family to help me decide.

Thanks for any help.

James

You should also look at the Onkyo professional models.

I am in the process of buying an Onkyo professional model PR-SC885P this is basically the same as the Intrega 9.8 but has a little nicer look concealing some of the buttons behind a swing down cover. I believe the Onkyo actually had a $200 higher MSRP than the Integra you would think it would be the other way around with Intrega being Onkyo's higher end brand.

Here is a link to Onkyo's professional models http://www.onkyopro.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Preamplifier&m=all

This page goes to the previous models which you can find good deals on used, there is also a new model which is about to release.

The PR-SC885P (which I will be getting soon) is shown with the removable rack ears on. I am looking forward to getting mine from the research I've done it is a great processor, hopefully I can give it my own good review soon.

The Emotiva XMC-1 is due to come out soonish, may wanna check that out. i would forgo the UMC-1, even with upgrades im still having issues. I believe outlaw is due for some new processors soon as well, I read an article by them not to long ago, you should look into that as well.

SuBXeRo,

Thanks for the mention on the Emotiva and Outlaw. I think I'm going to stay away from the Emotiva stuff, if they are putting the UMC-1 out with these issues I don't want to pay more for the XMC-1 and have issues with that. As far as Outlaw is, last I hear they were going to put something out but it got moved back to the first quarter of 2011, I wonder if it will be under $2000.

James

Hey James, thought I'd jump in here since I run something fairly similar to what you are looking at, (Integra 6.9/Outlaw 750). I really enjoy the combination. Our actual Klipsch set ups probably vary quite a bit (don't you run the 83 set up?).

Music is dynamic and clear. Not as warm as some like.

Movies really shine. I think this is really where Onkyo/Integra make their mark. I'm about a 60/40 movies to music guy, so the combo works out well for me.

Jrod

CECAA850,

Thanks for the mention. How do you like your Anthem? I will also take a look at NAD.

James

It's an incredible piece that was made even better with ARC. I had second thoughts about gettin it due to the price, but I've never had a second's worth of buyers remorse. It's my favorite piece of my HT. I had a top of the line HK before the D2. I really liked the HK's sound, but there's really no comparison to the Anthem's.

Jrod,

Thanks for the information. Yes I do run RF-83's, along with the same Outlaw 750.

I will have to take a look at the 6.9 also then. My setup is used everyday, from regular TV, movies and music so it's good that you really like your similar setup.

James

CECAA850,

Thanks for the feedback. That's my plan, to get something that I will spend some money on but never have to worry about it. That's what happen with my current Outlaw, I purchased used and still provided me with worry free enjoyment, well until the upgrade bug bits again.

James

CECAA850,

Thanks for the feedback. That's my plan, to get something that I will spend some money on but never have to worry about it. That's what happen with my current Outlaw, I purchased used and still provided me with worry free enjoyment, well until the upgrade bug bits again.

James

That's the other thing I liked about the Anthem. Other than installing the ARC software (it's standard on the new ones) I've never had to do a firmware update. It's performed flawlessly 100% of the time for the 3-4 years I've had it. There hasn't been one glitch, hickup handshake issue or problem the entire time I've owned it. I've cycled several media players and amps through it an never once has it done anything other than what it was supposed to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a good review of the Onkyo professional PR-SC885 preamp/processor

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/surroundsoundpreampprocessors/308onkpro/

I should have my PR-SC885 on Saturday, I am also getting an Emotiva XPA-5 amp that should be delivered this Friday. My plan is to use the Onkyo PR-SC885 in 7.1 using the new XPA-5 and my current XPA-3 amps. Once I have it setup and get some playing time with this new upgrade I will post my own review.

Thanks Rich_Guy for the link. I'll be on the look out for your write up when you get some time with it.

At the moment I'm looking to purchase a new TV, man so many decisions. Then after the new year I'll be on the hunt to purchase the preamp. I have been reading up on the items that people suggested and have been keeping my eye on the prices. If something comes along before I purchase my TV then my TV will be the one that gets pushed back a bit.

James

I really like my Integra 40:1. I was thinking of the 80:1 but I was able to pick up the 40 for under 800.00 so I jumped on it.

I went from the avp7 ( outlaw 990 clone) and can really notice the difference. Ended up buying another amp and moving the avp7 to another room.

The only thing about the Integra's is the relay sound you get when changing sound formats . It is nothing bad .. but can be heard.

They may have even have eliminated it in the newer series.

I looked at the Integra 40 & 80 dot 1 and dot 2. I ended up with a Onkyo PR-SC5507 as I didn't need the 3D HDMI output. I love the 5507 , don't know if you can find one now as I was told I got one of the last 40 sold and now the 5508 is out. BTW I was migrating from a Denon AVR-4306 and use an Emotiva XPA-5 with a -3 waiting in the wings to see if I ever use the high / wide speakers.

I see you have similar speakers to my configuration. yours are a bit better but, I wondered if you could answer a question I have RF82,RC62 RS52 and RW 12d sub with a denon 3311 (125 watt/ channel) receiver. I just ordered a emotiva xpa 3 amp. I was told this should create a fuller sound at lower volume for my speakers especially with music. Did I do the right thing. I ask as I see you have the same amp. Thanks.

I see you have similar speakers to my configuration. yours are a bit better but, I wondered if you could answer a question I have RF82,RC62 RS52 and RW 12d sub with a denon 3311 (125 watt/ channel) receiver. I just ordered a emotiva xpa 3 amp. I was told this should create a fuller sound at lower volume for my speakers especially with music. Did I do the right thing. I ask as I see you have the same amp. Thanks.

Yes you should love what the XPA-3 will do for your front 3 speakers and you will also notice that your surrounds will improve powered by your receiver when it no longer has to power the fronts.

Music will have better detail and separation, bass will be stronger, tighter and with more punch. I think you will be very happy with the XPA-3.

Thank you for responding I get the Denon receiver on tuesday and I'm looking at the XPA-3 in disbelief. It is so omininous and heavy I'm going to have to put two 2x supports underneath the entertainment center. I'm afraid it is so heavy it will at least deflect it if not crack the glass without additional support. I can't wait I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.