Heard & Saw the new Bose Video Wave tv/surround system

Myhamish

Yeah, I know, I'm the guy with the Bose turntable, Anyway, we were in the Kittery, Maine last week (I love that name - the Kittery - gets the old imagination going in a few steamy directions). The Kittery is full of outlet stores and malls. So after waiting while Paddy stocked up on Osh-Kosh to send to NZ, I got equal time to visit the Bose outlet shop across the road. With a dark storm brewing on the horizon.

In the Bose shop, I was more into reading price tags than checking out the produce - and this was the outlet store. A sales associate approached - a large friendly no pressure guy asked if he could be of assistance. I mentioned that we were dodging the storm and he invited us into a small theatre demo room with a 46" flatscreen and little FL,FR, C, RS, RL and sub cubes covered by black covers.

Paddy and I were the only visitors in the room, so the show began - with sound excerpts, video concert excerpts (Joan Osborne in concert ((BTW - her 'Relish' album of years gone by is one of my favourites)) ).

Not too shabby. My first observation was seeing the Bose logo on the the tv. Separation was good all the way around, although the vocals were a little boomy. The easy remote looked cool. At the end of the video portion of the presentation, our presenter proceeded to remove the black covers to reveal blank walls. All the surround sound and bass was being channeled and projected from the flatscreen tv. That did make an impression as it had me fooled.

We went into another room where there was a similar setup where I could try the remote and get the feel of the system. By this time, the storm had passed, so we thanked our host and headed on our ten hour drive home (NH liquor stores right on the freeways - we don't get that up here).

My take on all this - I love where the music takes me with my Klipsch speakers. There is no comparison. As for the Bose Video/Wave - it's an interesting product, works, is very expensive and the built-in tv makes upgrading an issue. Possibly with an audio only module to go behind any tv might be a better route. As far as the staff at the Bose outlet - our presenter was courteous but his 'other product knowledge' drew a blank when I mentioned LaScalas. I should have told him about the turntable. Now I wonder if Black Grouse is going to taste like Johnny Black.

God Bless the USA

Slainte, Hamish

As far as the staff at the Bose outlet - our presenter was courteous but his 'other product knowledge' drew a blank when I mentioned LaScalas.

That's my experience with most sales people too - just a blank stare. The best is when I mention Klipsch to someone and they respond with, "I have those too, I bought them at Best Buy". I just smile and give up at that point.

we were in the Kittery, Maine last week (I love that name - the Kittery - gets the old imagination going in a few steamy directions). The Kittery is full of outlet stores and malls.

It's just Kittery. Much like Portland or Boston or Ontario is just Portland or.... You can leave out the "the". I guess it loses some sex appeal when you take out the "the".[:P]

The VideoWave is an interesting product, but I can't imagine there being a big market for it at that price. I guess it would be a cool option for Joe Moneybags who just doesn't want to bother with components, speakers and wires. Hmm...maybe there is a market for it!