HELP!!! Will this AMP blow my speakers?

Mighty_Doctor

Hi, I plan to get a amp to power my 2 front main speakers. The amp is Adcom GFA 5800, which is very powerful and rated as 250 watt RMS into 8 ohms. My 2 front main speakers are klipsch RVX-54 and they are 150 w max continuous (600 w peak) Now comes my question, will this amp too powerful on these speakers and render the possibility to blow them out??

Thanks for any suggetion!

It all depends on how loudly you intend to play the system. If you crank it up to the point that the amp is maxed out and goes into clipping you can certainly blow the speakers. I can't imagine, however, that you would be able to stay in the room (or possibly in the house!) with anything remotely approaching that kind of power and distortion level.

Hey Doc, I think your speakers will love that amp.

I'm not familiar with those particular speakers, but I have a 5800, & i love it.

It's a very musical amp with great low end & smooth top end, enjoy!

I have thrown various speakers at it & it always delivers. (Infinity, B&W, Klipsch)

Think about it this way, a car has 500 horsepower, but honestly when will you really use it? Most of the time you will go under the max load of either speaker or amp and many people rather have the amp have a higher wattage then the speaker because if an amp clips it will damage the speaker, when a speaker hits its max volume it does less damage then clipping. I run 300 watt amps in my 250 watt speakers and never damaged anything.

Same for me i run a 3 ways active system in my basement and the
amplifier for my 20 watts tweeters is a Crown CSL460(yes could have a
smaller amp but i got it for cheap) that is 205 watts a side and i
never, ever burnt a tweeter.

In my living room a run a Bryston
4B 250 watts a side on my H2 and again i never burnt anything, the idea
if self control and take it easy on the volume.

• Klipsch Employees

When planning a system, I use a factor of 5...if I need 20 watts to get the volume from the speaker I want then I use a 100 watt amp.

Like others said, you can allways turn things up to high...

You can allways trun it down, but you can't turn it up if you don't have it.

On the RVX-54, I suggest using a processer that can limit the low frequency that goes to the speaker. It can deal with full range just fine, but will sound even better if limited to about 80 Hz on the low end. I would suggest using a sub with that speaker. That speaker has a pretty low impedance dip at the 130 Hz mark or so...the amy you plan to use should deal with that well. It sounds like you have a nice system coming together.

Enjoy!

When planning a system, I use a factor of 5...if I need 20 watts to get the volume from the speaker I want then I use a 100 watt amp.

Like others said, you can allways turn things up to high...

You can allways trun it down, but you can't turn it up if you don't have it.

On the RVX-54, I suggest using a processer that can limit the low frequency that goes to the speaker. It can deal with full range just fine, but will sound even better if limited to about 80 Hz on the low end. I would suggest using a sub with that speaker. That speaker has a pretty low impedance dip at the 130 Hz mark or so...the amy you plan to use should deal with that well. It sounds like you have a nice system coming together.

Enjoy!

I do have a nice sub to go with that sytem.... and it's a real nice one----------SVS-CS ultra the legendary cylindrical powerful sub......

BTW, Thank you all for helping me out......really appreciated!!