Need advice on a new blu-ray...

KingJames

In the market for a new blu ray player. There are a few things I would like it to do. 1. First and foremost, it must have excellent audio/visual quality. 2. Good netflix streaming ability. 3. Ability to connect via USB to an external hard drive and play media from it (NTFS format)

That's it! I have looked at the Sony BDP-S570, but I am seeing very mixed reviews about the Netflix streaming on this machine. I have heard that it can be simply router problems, but I don't know. Hoping you guys on here can give me some sound advice. As far as price goes, looking to stay under $250, which should be pretty easy I think... Thanks!

• Moderators

I got the Samsung BD-C6500 about 6 weeks ago and have not had a problem streaming Netflix or Pandora, it has worked fine every time.

I paid $ 219. and there are many out there for under $250 so read all the reviews and see what you think. The reviews on this one was good but they said it was a little slow to load, I never had a BD player before so to me it's fine, at the most maby 5-10 seconds to load a movie. The pic and sound are great, my tv is only 1080i but every disc even non Bd look better, and the sound of CD's are improved from my Pioneer that died.

Noi problem yet !

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305BDC6500/Samsung-BD-C6500.html?tp=171

Take a look at this Panasonic. I don't have this model but it seems to have the features you want at your price point.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/487104651/panasonic-dmpbdt100

Here is the cheaper version.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/487398296/panasonic-dmpbd85k

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD30K that has performed flawlessly for over 2.5 years. While it is only a second generation BD player, it received rave reviews and never let me down.

Bill

what's wrong with the PS3 you have in your signature? It meets every single one of your requirements, especially with netflix going to discless last week. So what does it not do that you're wanting?

I agree, I use my PS3 as well for BR watching, streaming netflix, streaming Pandora I even use it to stream music from my laptop through my wireless network, very cool feature. There was even a update recently to handle 3D movies if you have a TV capable. I would stick with that before I would buy a new player.

~ ross

There a couple things that I just can't stand about my PS3. 1. Remote is bluetooth so I can't use my universal remote with it... not too big a deal. 2. You can't connect an NTFS hard drive to the PS3, only Phat. 3. I have the old fat PS3 and it has had overheating issues, so I will probably be getting rid of it completely... I could stream through my WII, but as you all know the WII is not capable of HD output, and that's no good for me. Thanks for all the opinions though, they really do help. Maybe I'll look at getting a new PS3 slim... I'm just not much into gaming so I don't see much use for this... but I do love a lot of the features and things that you can do on the PS3 like streaming music and such from your laptop...

if your remote is a logitech, they sell an adapter specifically to overcome the IR to Bluetooth hurdle. There are several very solid applications you could run on a computer in your home that will stream/encode/be perfectly awesome for sending whatever contents you have on your NTFS drive to the ps3. Ya, it's a gaming console ..but it also gives you extensive flexibility in configuration, loads bluray's faster than many dedicated players, and receives updates from sony often in advance of their other players. I definitely recommend going with the slim, if for no other reason than to have a cooler/quieter machine and full support of the latest HD audio formats over hdmi.

Thank you everyone for the responses! It looks like everyone here is quite partial to the PS3, and for good reason. I do have a Logitech remote, but I looked at the PS3 dongle thingy and it was like almost $100! So that's not really an option right now... I am very interested however in the applications you were talking about that allow you to stream/encode right to your PS3. Any links that would help me see what you are talking about? The more I read the responses, the more I think I will sell my fat PS3 and go for a slim. I love the interface of the PS3 and have enjoyed all the different media options you have with it. So maybe I will just stick with this. But please continue to give any advice you may have on stand alone players as well! Thank you all again!

it depends on what OS you're using, really. Here's a recent article from gizmodo on how to setup media streaming on all three consoles: http://gizmodo.com/5660605/how-to-stream-media-without-buying-any-more-gear

it's windows centric, but the concept is similar for mac. I personally use Nullriver's Medialink to stream from my PS3. That is until I get this netgear readynas setup, which has DLNA support. Not sure the last time you checked, but the IR adapter specific to the PS3 is only $60, if that makes it easier to swallow ..I don't blame you, I've yet to pick one up myself.

p.s. - Thanks :)

The best thing I ever did was go Media Center Pc . I also run Windows 7 Media Center And Media Browser.

I have one of the best Blu-Ray players made (Oppo Digital) and since I went Media Center Pc I really don't use it .

I stream Netflix ,Zinc and all Free internet TV and movies and everything is networked to all the other Pc's in the house.

If you only want to spend a couple hundred than buy a ..stand alone blu-ray player.

But for a couple hundred more you could put together a PC with a bluray in it.

I kept putting it off for years....but after it was finished .. Glad I did

Just purchased a LG BD 570 for $95 on eBay a week ago. Works great, In fact, listening to The Hustle in my Theater Room this evening really loud thru You Tube. The wife is gone for a few days and the neighbors live over 300 feet away. Can't forget to close the windows. Hopeffuly I won't blow them out.

Man Cave Office 17ft by 14ft by 8.5ft carpeted

VISIO 47in HD TV Flat Screen on the Wall

Directv HD-24 DVR with Multi Room Viewing

Samsung BD C6500 Blu Ray HD DVD Player

Onkyo TX NR609 7.2 used as a 5.2 plus Bi Amping the F3s

Klipsch Synergy C2

Klipsch Synergy F3 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy B3 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy 12in Sub (Pair)

Thearter Room 22ft by 15ft by 9ft carpeted

Samsung 67in HD TV DLP

Directv HD-24 DVR with Multi Room Viewing

Samsung BD C6500 HD DVD Player

Onkyo TX NR609 7.2

Magnaplanar I (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy S2 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy SL (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy 12in Sub

Klipsch Icon VC-25

another little suggestion on the PS3 remote issue. yes, the logitech adapter is $60, but if money is tight right now and you want something right now, i suggest Blu-Wave. it's pretty neat, simple remote (logitech has the codes for it) and a usb flash stick. simply plug the usb stick into the front, and now your logitech remote controls the PS3. the only 2 commands it can't do is, Power on, and eject. the cost of it is $15 or cheaper, check craigslist, they usually have a brand new one on there.

i had a "rounded" ps3 and swapped it out for a "less rounded" ps3. mine was backwards compatible and i actually did a clean trade, well, the guy gave me $23 extra. so for me, it was a great deal. i didn't have the issues you spoke of, but i would follow up and cleaning out the dust. i know some gamers and that was the same issue they had. one took it completely apart and cleaned it. it also cleared his YLOD. that dust can really ruin these ps3's.

good luck with it all.