ALK AP12 Networks - Question on Woofer Le compensation

radiogram

Al:

Subsequent to your finding of the actual complex K33 woofer impedence to be about 6+1j, you have mentioned that you actually subtract the 1mH Le from the required inductor value for the woofer section (instead of using a zobel) and thus you also now recommend 1.3mH for the universals instead of 2.3mH. However, when I downloaded your AP12 desing form your website, the inductor values shown for various Xover frequencies do not seem to have subtracted out the woofer Le.

Could you please clarify this?

Thanks

The AP12 series are computer optimized combination of a 3rd order lowpass and a second order highpass. The output inductor of the lowpass is 1 mHy in all the designs. It is simply left out when I build them. Since the 1 mHy woofer voice coil does not function as a part of the attenuation slope, the filter acts like a 2nd order. I call the entire networks 2nd order for that reason. That's the reason for the sereis name "AP12". That stands for "All-Pole 12 db / octave".

The computer model of the AP12-500 is below. Note the 1 mHy inductor at the output. It's also assumed to be infinite Q with the load simulating the woofer resistive component.

Al K.

post-2934-13819618282924_thumb.jpg

post-2934-13819621942026_thumb.jpg