Building a home theater system, need help.

JFB

Good day guys,

New guy here, green as can be. I've always wanted a decent speaker system and now that I have the money I am going to build one. Only thing is, I have no idea about amps, pre amps RMS, 8 ohms, channels etc.

I have settled on getting a RF-7 II home theater system (will be ordering very shortly) and have already ordered a SVS PC12-Plus vertical cylindrical subwoofer. What do I need, to get the most out of my system without going over 4K. Sort of best bang for the buck stuff. If I wait until early next year I will have 2K more to spend.

So far I have a:

Panasonic TH-65PF12UK tv

PS3

Wii

XBOX360

Telus HD PVR

SVS PC12-Plus on order.

Soon to order RF-7 II system.

Thanks,

• Moderators

Hi JF. Welcome to the forums!

Man, you skip the fun of upgrading over time and just bust it out and get the RF7 bad boys. [:D]

I have not heard the RF7II's but the RF7's are what made me decide to purchase my first "real" HT system. Absolutely amazing speakers.

Here are some questions for you:

1. What size is your room?

2. After your speakers, tv, PS3, Wii, Xbox etc purchases, how much do you have to budget for additional items?

3. Do you want to use a Receiver as your Pre/pro and an external amp or buy separates (pre/pro, amp)?

Don't be afraid to build your system over time. Early next year is right around the corner.

I just ordered the RF-7 II system. Okay, I have 4000 left to spend unless I wait until Jan in which I will have 6000 to spend. What I need is for some one to tell me what I need cause I have no Idea what I need. Don't laugh but I am coming off of some logitech z-5500's. That was the reason why i never watched much tv of listen to music at home. Just used my Shure ear phones when I'm out and about. As long as the price is around 4 to 6 K. I don't have much of an idea on this stuff. I would to like the speakers to sound there best but be within my last bit of cash. Speakers are rated at 250W RMS x 8 ohms so would a receiver which outputs 140W RMS x 8 ohms enough to power the speaker? If I go through an amp would I need a pre amp?

I live in a high rise condo, area which I am making my media centre is approx.. 8' x 12'.

Thanks bro

• 4 weeks later...

Well honestly if your cash flow is still good, I would look at the Integra DHC 80.2 Pre Amplifier and a Emotiva XPA-5 as your power plant (200W x 5 @ 8 ohms) It has 5 HDMI connections in and 2 HDMI out. Or you can look at an Integra DTR 80.1 all in one, with the same HDMI configuration. You can reasearch other brands as there are plenty of good ones out there, I just most familiar with the Integra line and have had really good luck with it. Also, my LRD has the Integra DHC in there demo room with a complete Klipsch THX setup and it rocks.

Good Luck,

~ross

I'm not sure what you have left to buy other than a receiver and an amp if you think you need one. I would pick the receiver you like the most. I have an onkyo and love it. I also have an emotiva xpa-5 and it all sounds great. I would highly recommend monoprice.com for all of your cable needs.

Find a receiver you like, wait for it to go on sale and then buy it. But, if all you are buying is an amp and a receiver I can't see you spending more than 2500 (and even that is a lot) unless you go butt wild.

Emotiva amps are on sale now.

If you want to go butt wild:

3 Emotiva xpa-1 amps for your front three

and

1 emotiva xpa-2 for your surrounds

plus a decent receiver

You can get the Integra Processor and Emotiva XPA5 for far less than the funds you have. For 999 out of 1000 ears, you would be wasting money to spend any more.

I'm running that setup with a Heritage theater and used to use it with the Ultra2 system and it was jaw dropping with both!