Update on my Klipschorn saga

DTLongo

Those of you who have followed my Klipschorn saga since I got my new 2003 babies (see profile) know that I've railed about how accursedly amplifier-sensitive they are. They can sing or slump depending on the amp. Long story short, courtesy of my son who was moving and needed to sell stuff, for all of $75.00 I recently came in to a Yamaha RX-V2095 home theater receiver that I thought I would give a try for the heck of it. A word of background. Introduced for about $1500.00 new around 1999 (Google it), this is a prehistoric beast by today's standards. It seems to date from just when Dolby Digital was coming in as the next generation from Dolby Pro-Logic. Yet the new terminology hadn't settled down, the Yammy nowhere shows Dolby Digital, rather, something called Dolby Pro-Logic Enhanced. which, I found, is the same thing. The manual that I found online and downloaded is quaint. While well-written English for a Japanese-origin manual, transliterating its terminology into contemporary sense required hours and hours of perusing the manual and trial and error with the receiver. It was like learning to fly all over again.

The result? The best audio value-for-money I think I've ever gotten in a lifetime from age 12 of playing with this stuff ! (I'm now 68.) That old amplifier makes the Khorns SING. The first thing I noticed was in the bass area, much fuller and richer. But very shortly other aspects emerged. Especially on symphonic strings, treble details, subtlety and air are THERE that just weren't before, even with the generally highly regarded Outlaw pre-pro and power amp I was using before. The strings have a "sheen" that really puts you closer into the actual concert hall and space. Likewise the orchestra inner voices and interplay between other instruments, woodwinds and such. It is though yet another gauzy veil has been lifted between the speakers and my ears. The FM-radio section, too, is better than anything I've had before. The local NPR classical music station comes in better than ever.

I'm sure Al K's crossovers help (see profile below), but the difference with the Yammy is such that it would have come through too on the original stock xovers. For the moment, I'm a happy audio puppy and my son did me a huge favor! Can it still be that Older is Better? To be sure, the RX-V2095 would not cut it today as an A/V receiver, no HDMI switching at all, for instance. But what an AUDIO gem it is.

cool, i've always liked yamaha gear, had several yammie avr's, denon is also decent stuff.

used an outlaw audio receiver the rr2150 if i remember correctly with my khorns earlier this year, nice tight solid state low end.

i still want to get ahold of an old pioneer SX audio receiver from the 70's to see how it sounds.

good to hear you've found that synergy...

"...I still want to get ahold of an old pioneer SX audio receiver from the 70's to see how it sounds..."

The best-sounding amp by far that I've had on my Khorns, before the Yamaha, was a vintage-1990 Pioneer VSX-5700S Pro-Logic receiver. That receiver alone among around a half-dozen that I've tried before the Yamaha, was the only one that, in its straight-stereo mode, would make the Khorns really sing in the bass. In fact, it might even still shade the Yammy in the bass department, though not in the treble. Trouble was, in 2004 I got that big Belle center and the Pioneer with only Pro-Logic could not cut it center-channel wise. But I still have that beloved Pioneer. It's powering the modified JBL subwoofer in my HT.

I'm glad you've found a good match for the big horns. I wouldn't have expected a Yamaha receiver to be particularly synergistic, but that just shows you how little I know!

Your posts always make me miss my '98 AK3 k-horns. Man, the k-horn has got to be one of the most beautiful loudspeakers ever created. I wish I'd had a proper room for mine in the new house! I'd still have them!!

Oh well, life goes on...I've found audio happiness with my current set-up.

Your horns are oak, aren't they? My '98's were. My favorite finish, of course! Yours are gorgeous, I must say. Enjoy!

Nice chapter in the saga, Tom! I have what probably is the Denon version of that receiver, the AVR-3300. At least it's from the same time frame. It's been a real work horse, being used for movies in the family room with KSP-400's, KSP-C6 center, and some KSF-C5 surrounds. I guess I've had it for about 10 years! I never tried it with the Khorns, though. Too many cords to undo (or Khorns to move!).

"Your horns are oak, aren't they? My '98's were."

Mine are walnut. They and the center Belle are absolutely still mint. No nicks, scars, blemishes. nuttin'. The one time they were moved from my previous house to here they were professionally wrapped, swaddled and cradled like babies. The ALK Trachorn upgrade included replacing the top front panel including the grille cloth and its then-Klipsch badge. I purchased two current Klipsch badges from Indy. The speakers therefore look newer than they actually are. P.S. Forum members in or visiting this area (MD Eastetrn Shore) are welcome to come by to play with the babies if you want. Email me ahead and we can set up a mutually convenient time.

"...I still want to get ahold of an old pioneer SX audio receiver from the 70's to see how it sounds..."

I run a Pioneer SX-1980 and it sounds almost like tube gear to me. Very rich with a lot more punch. Any of the SX recievers will sound this way. They are a great value for the money.

Always loved the way my K-horns sounded with my Yamaha CR-2020 from the late 1970s. The receiver is just too big for the stereo cabinet so it has been banished to the bedroom to run an old pair of AR-13s that we listen to NPR on in the mornings. I now have a smaller CA-1010 that I use with the K-horns when I am not using the tubes, and it gives the tubes a good run for their money. The Japanese really made some nice stuff back in the day.