HDMI question

peshewah

My reciever, a Yamaha RX V663 supports a (HDMI) video signal of 1080p/60Hz and below. So if I bought a flat screen TV that supported 1080p/120 or 240 and a blue-ray player and ran them both thru my reciever, would I end up getting a video signal of 1080p/60Hz on the TV because of the reciever? Would the reciever be a bottle neck? Does my question make any since?

I may be wrong but here is my understanding...

would I end up getting a video signal of 1080p/60Hz on the TV because of the reciever?

Yes

Would the reciever be a bottle neck?

Yes

Does my question make any since?

Yes

Now I believe you can run directly from the blu-ray to the tv to get the 1080p signal

James

So you think I'm OK with the Yamaha reciever?

I'm wanting the sound of HDMI as well, I hear its the best, thats why I was wanting to run thru the reciever.

More than likely, if I was to get a flat screen it would be a plasma.

Guys , I'm grateful for the response. I'm new at this stuff and I get confused easy.

No TV accepts an HDMI signal at 1080p/120 or 1080p/240. The 120 and 240 numbers mentioned are the screen refresh rates and have nothing to do with the HDMI frame rate.

You took the words out of my mouth. 120 and 240 are refresh modes that are supposed to give you a smoother picture. Some people refer to it as the soap opera effect because it makes all of the video look live....or like a home video. The only way your receiver would be a bottleneck is if you decided to do 3d. In order to pass the "3d" info to the tv the receiver has to be 3d certified (which all HDMI 1.4 receivers are) otherwise you won't get 3d unless you go directly from the blu ray player to the tv. (of course the tv has to be 3d compatible as well) I know you didn't mention 3d but I just thought I'd give that little tidbit of info for future reference. But a question that does apply os whether or not the receiver passes 1080p/24 signals or not. 24p mode is a mode on blu ray players thats supposed to give you that "movie theater film" look. Some receivers pass it through untouched. Some "upconvert" it to 1080p/60. Usually when a receiver does that its just a simple setting that can be changed in the receivers menu. Alright hope I helped and didn't confuse anyone.

So you think I'm OK with the Yamaha reciever?

I'm wanting the sound of HDMI as well, I hear its the best, thats why I was wanting to run thru the reciever.

More than likely, if I was to get a flat screen it would be a plasma.

Guys , I'm grateful for the response. I'm new at this stuff and I get confused easy.

Yes that receiver supports the HD audio formats (DTS HD Master and Dolby TrueHD) so yes you'll be able to run audio and video through HDMI on your receiver. In order to make sure your receiver is doing the processing and not the Blu Ray player make sure you change the settings on the blu ray to output audio as bitstream. On sony players its called direct. That way your receiver does all of the processing. Not your blu ray. I know they say you get the same audio quality but i prefer to let my receiver do all of the work since thats what its made to do.

I'm new to HDMI & HD as well, so I have a few questions:

If we get a projector, I'd like to send the digital video signal ONLY from the player directly to the projector, and the audio signals from the player directly to the AV preamp, all through (presumably) 2 different HDMI cables. Are there Blu-ray or Universal players that have two HDMI output receptacles that would allow me to do that?

Doesn't sending the video signal through the AVpreamp degrade the signal a bit?

I'm new to HDMI & HD as well, so I have a few questions:

If we get a projector, I'd like to send the digital video signal ONLY from the player directly to the projector, and the audio signals from the player directly to the AV preamp, all through (presumably) 2 different HDMI cables. Are there Blu-ray or Universal players that have two HDMI output receptacles that would allow me to do that?

Doesn't sending the video signal through the AVpreamp degrade the signal a bit?

Yes there are blu ray players that have 2 HDMI outputs. Just look at 3d players. Some of them have 2 HDMI outputs for compatibilty with older receivers that don't support 3d. One puts out only audio. The other one puts out audio and video. And as long as you get a decent receiver its not going to degrade the signal. Most receivers have pretty good processing that does a good job at video. But a lot of receivers do offer pass-through modes nowadays that won't touch the video at all. But honestly I can't see the difference between using a receiver/preamp and not using one.

When buying a HDTV what part of the HDTV specs has to do with the movie having that (soap opera ) effect.What is the overall opinion on the so called (soap opera) effect does it take away from making the movie believable and are you able to see the difference between what is cgi and what is real ."Yes I know the difference ". Just wanted to know .

The refresh rate has to do with the soap opera effect but that only applies to LCD TVs. Tvs that say they have 120hz or 240hz have the abilty to create the soap opera effect. Companies have different names that they give it though. Like Samsung calls it "Real 240" so all of their TVs that feature Real 240 have a 240hz refresh rate. But with the 120 or 240 effects turned on you either love it or hate it. There's no in between. Now you can adjust the effect as far as how much the TV processes the picture if you're willing to play around with the settings. Now personally I hate the effect. I wouldn't say it takes away from making the movie believable but it does take away that "movie feel" It looks like you're watching a home video in a way. And in a way it sorta looks live. Its hard to explain it. I guess live is the best way to describe it. It looks live but at the same time sorta artificial. Basically all the motions are VERY fluid. You'll still be able to see the difference between cgi and real items. I hate it because usually when people turn it on they have the effects turned all the way up. It doesn't bother me as much when I've toned it down a little and I can generally watch tv for awhile but it still isn't my fav mode. It definitely takes some getting used to. But as I said some people love it. The best way to see if you like it is to go in a store like Best Buy or HHGregg. Pretty much all LCD TVs nowadays are 120 or 240. Its getting harder and harder to find 60hz TVs. But once you look at the displays you should be able to pick out the 120 and 240 TVs right away because the motion on those TVs will be different from what you're used to seeing. But if you're not sure just ask an associate to point out the TVs. Keep in mind though that if you do hate the way the tv looks you can turn off the 120 or 240 modes and your tv will look "normal" or you can turn down the processing to get it setup the way you like it.

Everything is relative.

Some Blu-ray players are better at decoding than some A/V recievers, Quality of DACs, Power Supply(s) etc.

The Cable is just one link in chain.

You can get pretty incredable sound from an HDMI and $600ish reciever but. . .

revised writing below:

HDMI sound?

I think what you want is the HD Sound, Master Audio TrueHD. Something with more data density than 16 bit by 44.1 KHZ CD quality sound.

Some Blu-ray players are better at Decoding this signal and converting to analog than some recievers and visa versa.

So pick your Player and Receiver carefully.

The best HT system I have ever heard was a very high end system that was limited to DVD data rates 48 Khz and 16 bits from a high end DVD Player.

When I heard this same exact system with Blu-ray Player and HDMI Cable I could not believe how much worse the sound was.

Then when a good Blu-ray player was inserted that had good DACs the sound was again incredable with out the HDMI.

I took this same player home to my system and found the Analog outs to sound better than the HDMI, since my Processor did not have that good of DACs.

I found an affordable Blu-ray Processor combination on the used market and am enjoying HD audio with out an HDMI Cable for audio.

I do run an HDMI for visual half of the Blu-ray direct to my TV.

I

Oh ok. I see what you're saying. And yes I've experienced ok sound from cheaper receivers such as Sony and the HTiB receivers. Don't get me wrong. The sound wasn't bad but once I upgraded to Onkyo....and once I heard a Yamaha receiver nothing could beat those in decoding unless you got a high priced blu ray such as Oppo. I have heard sound from a blu ray that was decoded by the Sony Blu Ray and it sounded the same when I switched between the receiver decoding and the Blu Ray decoding. But you are right. Careful research is needed but I just feel like you can't go wrong with a decent receiver. I consider "decent" sorta midrange. Something made by Onkyo, Yamaha, or Pioneer. Or if you want to step up to the higher end Marantz, Harmon Kardon, and Pioneer Elite are all great receivers as well. Luckily I haven't had any bad sound experiences with those receivers *knock on wood* What kind of processor did you have? Analog multichannel outputs do offer great sound as well.Unfortunately finding receivers with those inputs is getting harder and harder unless you step up to the high end. But I digress. Research is definitely needed. Research and if possible a "test drive" of potential components in stores if they're hooked up.

If you like how it sounds, it is worth a Crap.

I start by looking at the specs, some only how it sounds.

I screen which ones I will look at by the specs and then pick which one I like the sound the best.

Those sample rates should work fine. The High-End uses 32 bit to go over the top.

The Yamaha Signal to noise Ratio is the only spec I could find on the Yamaha Website:

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CD, 250 mV)
100 dB

I like this number to be over 100, I am much more sentsitve to Hiss when the volume is cranked up than most audiphiles.

Those who enjoy vinyl are much less sensitive.

I really like the top of line Dennon at 125 dB on the SN ration and 110 on the Dynamic Range, but a $4,000 it will probably never be in by basement.

Mine and the Oppo are around 115 dB and 104 dB.

These number are for the componet the DAC will be the starting point for the component and how good the power supply and internal connections are will determine the final numbers.

I listened to a $2,000 Dennon, $700 Pioneer Elite and an Oppo and like the sound of the Dennon the but felt there was very little difference to the Pioneer and bought the Pioneer and used the $1300 to buy I really nice Pre-amp that made much more of a difference than the player.

It is all about how each component fits with the others to make the whole system good than individual componts.

I you buy a harsh Pre-amp with harsh Amps and harsh Speakers it will sound awful but the same Pre-amp and speakers with a "warmer" amp might sound wounderful.

Thank Klipsch for hosting this site and all the other users that have helped me understand me about 1% of this Audiophile stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind is that with Master Audio and True HD we have more data than the movie theatre when they use film.

so why does the Movie Theater sound so good?

Room Treatments, Speaker Placement, Quality Amplification, Biamping etc.

So yes you can get really great surround sound from a $200 dollar Blu-ray, $500 dollar Processor/Amplifier, a $50 HDMI cable and some Klipsh speakers.

Making that system sound a lot better can be done with getting the speakers in the correct place, getting level adjustments right, and managing room reflections for all most zero dollars.

Going for near perfection can get really expensive fast.