Need advice on headphones

Youthman

You mentioned a Senn HD280 on CL for $40. I have a pair of those. The closed ear design cuts out a lot of ambient room noise. They sound very good through a decent preamp, but not with portable player jacks. Comfort doesn't last real long for me - maybe an hour before pressure at the top of my head. Bought it used on CL for $60. Worth it, but still casually looking for a more comfortable pair.

• Moderators

Appreciate the input. I am just not familiar with any models other than my current 570's. They are extremely comfortable.

I will only be using them hooked up to my computer. Audio card on the motherboard so no fancy device there. That's mainly why I'm looking to go pretty cheap since it's not a high end setup to begin with. Just trying to find out what the best bang for the buck around the $50 mark.

I also had a pair ofthe Senn HD280s...before my cousin killed them. RIP.

I'll echo River and say the ambient noise reduction is significant and it does help a great deal with SQ in some environments (and it goes both ways with you not disturbing others as much). I mostly used them plugged into my receiver which could drive them adequately for movie watching at moderate volumes, and when I did plug them into portable devices, they proved adequate, probably in no small part thanks to that ambient noise reduction.

Comfortwise, you definately know they're on your head; it's inherent to the design. However, as noted I did watch movies with them on without any major complaints.

Since they died I later obtained a pair of Grado SR225s. More accurate? Probably. More enjoyable to listen to? Not really. Do I miss the noise reduction? From time to time.

Youth,

I know you said this is for computer use but do you have anywhere around you to go and listen to a few brands of headphones. Take a mp3 or cell phone with music that you know on it and take it to the store to plug in and listen for yourself. I know it might be hard to find every brand but maybe ones that you were already thinking about.

James

• Moderators

I know you said this is for computer use but do you have anywhere around you to go and listen to a few brands of headphones

You know...you would think that would have been my first thought....but it actually didn't even cross my mind. Shame on me. I just looked online and Best Buy carries Sennheiser. I'll stop by there this weekend to see if they have any on the floor that I can demo. I can bring my iPod to test it with.

• Moderators

Yeah, he's selling a lot of stuff together for $150 (Samsung Rogue touch screen phone, altec lansing 2.1 speakers, Sennheiser HD555, two 1Ghz computers, sony powered sub, and two 500 watt power supplies.

After inquiring about the headphones (before my $50 offer), he texted me saying,

"Ok everything in this list the headphones . Two computers. A linksYs router a d link wireless adapter. Both draft n . Speaker set. Samsung rogue touch screen phone with camcorder mp3 player etc . A brand new Sata hard drive dock and a used laptop hard drive dock. 3g modem with desktop adapter. Two pc power supplies. Two hdmi cable one is 15 foot . All in one printer scanner with lcd. Some dvds and a Xbox360 controller works on pc too a 3 Mp digital camera all for $200 lol"

Seems like he is hurting for cash. Said he has a job but is about to switch jobs so he's trying to get some cash for the transition.

I didn't hear back from him regarding my offer so I'll call him in the morning to see what he says. I'm all about negotiating.