Klipsch Chorus- an overlooked speaker?

runninshine

Yesterday afternoon, I moved a pair of mint KG 5.5's from my kitchen 2 channel set and replaced them with my Chorus speakers and I am so impressed by how good they sound.

The Kg's were my first 2 way klipsch speaker and those who know, know what a different sound between the 2way and 3 way speaker can be....not worse, not better, just different.

I don't ever seem to read nor hear much about the Chorus and I never see them for sale.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Klipsch really made a nice speaker here and this one seems to fly under the radar but, for their size and price I paid I think it will be very hard for me to ever let these go. I have always said that I would sell these before I ever sold my Cornwalls but I am really thinking twice about that.....in fact the newest member of the family here (KG 5.5's) will be sold way before these.

Sterling

Hi Sterling,

You're right, the Chorus's do get overlooked, and that's too bad, because they are wonderful sounding/looking loudspeakers. They were the direct replacements (correct me if I am wrong, please) for the venerable Cornwall loudspeaker and I herein is where the problem lies...

If there is one thing I have learned over the years, there is not a more passionate and loyal following than lovers of Klipsch loudspeakers; in particular Heritage Series loudspeakers, i.e. Klipschorn, Belle, La Scala, Cornwall, and Heresy. Like Harley-Davidson, McIntosh (audio), and apple pie, there is nothing more American than a Klipsch Heritage loudspeaker. Like them or not, they have stood the test of time, and that in itself speaks volumes.

So, when Klipsch decided to discontinue the Cornwall back in the day, not only did it send a ripple of horror throughout the audio community, to then hear that this new, almost normal looking, (by Klipsch standards) Chorus loudspeaker was to be its replacement, sent a seed of discontent, as well.

Whether or not the Chorus was intended to be included in the Heritage Series line-up is debatable, but certainly, upon hearing them, at least, they are a worthy addition to, if not a replacement for, any of the Heritage Series loudspeakers.

I have heard both Chorus I's and II's side by side, and except for a bit lower bass in the II's, they are virtually indistinguishable sounding from one another. I know this is lunacy, as they utilize opposing horn technologies, Tractrix versus Exponential but, to me, the similarities are far greater than the differences, and much too small to try and describe.

Marty

Not by those of us who own and love them! The best value, dollar for dollar in the Heritage/Extended lineup. My first Klipsch purchase and the one pair of speakers I will never get rid of. My Chorus II's have thousands of hours on them and last year I did the Crites upgrade and they are singing like they are fresh out of the factory. They crush my Fortes and I prefere them to my Cornwall II's. Neglected, overlooked? Perhaps, but not by those who have heard them.

Not by those of us who own and love them! The best value, dollar for dollar in the Heritage/Extended lineup. My first Klipsch purchase and the one pair of speakers I will never get rid of. My Chorus II's have thousands of hours on them and last year I did the Crites upgrade and they are singing like they are fresh out of the factory. They crush my Fortes and I prefere them to my Cornwall II's. Neglected, overlooked? Perhaps, but not by those who have heard them.

You know, you're right about them compared to the Forte and Cornwall II, for I own both speakers. The Forte is such a great speaker, and I am so happy with them for what they do in a smaller room. As far as my Cornwalls, I am going to have to do some straight up soul searching on those......I know some people would fight me for even thinking about selling them.

The Chorus is just bad ***.....so, I guess I am going to have to do the Crites up grades.

runninshine, you won't regret the Crites crossover & titanium tweeter upgrade, a noticable improvement. I am lucky in that I am able to run my Cornwalls & Fortes in seperate systems. Each of these speaker systems have their qualities and if I had no other, I could be happy with any of them. However the Chorus II's are my preferred speaker.

Back in 1988 when I bought my first pair of Klipsch speakers, Fortes, I also listened to a pair of Chorus as well. The Fortes were way to big for my tiny downtown Boston apartment but I was just blown away my how good the Chorus sounded and would have bought them instead if my wife hadn't stepped in. We are still married by the way (she did let me get the Fortes after all). Since then I have always wanted to find a pair and it was my constant internet searching for a pair of Chorus that actually landed me my K-horns a few years back and more recently the La Scalas. I guess I am pretty well set, but a pair of Chorus would be nice in the basement...[;)]

I was just blown away my how good the Chorus sounded and would have bought them instead if my wife hadn't stepped in.

NEVER take the wife shopping for audio equipment, you may never be happy with the outcome.

Wait until they leave or you will be stuck with what looks good to them instead of what sounds good to you.

If they don't get it mention next time a major appliance goes on the fritz like her stove or something similar tell her the old one is too big and 2 burners is enough to cook on anyways right ?

Maybe thats why I'm divorced.[:#]

I was just blown away my how good the Chorus sounded and would have bought them instead if my wife hadn't stepped in.

NEVER take the wife shopping for audio equipment, you may never be happy with the outcome.

Wait until they leave or you will be stuck with what looks good to them instead of what sounds good to you.

If they don't get it mention next time a major appliance goes on the fritz like her stove or something similar tell her the old one is too big and 2 burners is enough to cook on anyways right ?

Maybe thats why I'm divorced.Zip it!

lol, there does seem to be a lot of guys wearing skirts around here..[:P]

lol, there does seem to be a lot of guys wearing skirts around here..

I have to admit the only thing I like more than my Klipsch speaker collection is my wife's cooking. If I had to choose between the two I'd be wearing the skirt and eating like a king. I'd still have my hearing too.

Maybe thats why I'm divorced.Zip it!

lol, there does seem to be a lot of guys wearing skirts around here..Stick out tongue

A little compromising goes a long way. I have been happily married over 25 years AND have more stereo equipment than anybody I know (this does not include audio nut-cases on this site). [:D]